Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First time with my top off

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time with my top off

I finally took the top of my Jeep today (for the first time) and me and the family loved it. I had an issue removing the back window and was wondering if this is typical. It was extremely difficult to remove and put back on at the point where the zipper teeth end. Is there a trick to make this easier or maybe im just retarded with zippers? Any thoughts
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

The zipper on my back window is really stiff as well. Is it because it gets dust in it or just part of it? Been wondering this myself.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

If its the factory windows, just add a little bit of silicone grease inside of it. should help a little. I dont even take my rear window when i put the top down, i just zip it up to the 2 corners and take out the plastic rod, and just push it in when the top is pulled down. less work to struggle with putting them back on. My original window zipper broke from taking it on and off, so i got all 3 new ones that were tinted.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wranglin07x
If its the factory windows, just add a little bit of silicone grease inside of it. should help a little. I dont even take my rear window when i put the top down, i just zip it up to the 2 corners and take out the plastic rod, and just push it in when the top is pulled down. less work to struggle with putting them back on. My original window zipper broke from taking it on and off, so i got all 3 new ones that were tinted.
Thanks for the reply. I was worried with the amount of effort required to take off and put on the window that it will certainly would have a short life. I will take your suggestion next time and try the top down without fully removing the rear window.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit them with a little zipper lube!

Click image for larger version

Name:	m05066440aa202.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	290674
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does take practice getting the back window zipper started and undone. It still fights me sometimes and I've removed my back window probably 25 times. I always work from left (closed) to right (open) with the Zipper pull. When reinstalling the window (the bar and plastic window) I start/align the bar on the right side and the line up the left side of the bar with the plastic holder and twist it in. I also release the left sail panel and that seems to help lining up the zipper ends. I hope this makes sense.
I spray my zippers with a 100% silicone spray and they zip very smoothly. I hear plain old candle wax works too.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Hit them with a little zipper lube!

Attachment 290674
Sweet! I didn't even know that existed.

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
It does take practice getting the back window zipper started and undone. It still fights me sometimes and I've removed my back window probably 25 times. I always work from left (closed) to right (open) with the Zipper pull. When reinstalling the window (the bar and plastic window) I start/align the bar on the right side and the line up the left side of the bar with the plastic holder and twist it in. I also release the left sail panel and that seems to help lining up the zipper ends. I hope this makes sense.
I spray my zippers with a 100% silicone spray and they zip very smoothly. I hear plain old candle wax works too.
Thanks for the info. I did figure out to loosen the left sail but it really was a zipper problem. Once I finally got the damn thing started I had to use two hands to fully zip it back up. The whole time I was imagining the zipper splitting and the zipper clamp (?) coming completely off of the teeth.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My back window is always a nightmare, I used some wax today in preparation for future removal, I hear bees wax is the best but I just used a regular candle
Old 03-18-2012, 04:17 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silicone lube is great but stinks. Wax and barred soap works.

I say don't remove the back window, just roll it up.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EzK
Silicone lube is great but stinks. Wax and barred soap works.

I say don't remove the back window, just roll it up.
Unless I hear a good reason not to from other JK vets I'm going with not removing my back window next time. Once again, thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply: First time with my top off