Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Pentastar Acceleration Numbers

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inverse121
I bet if we go back to 2006, we can find posts just like that on a TJ forum about the 3.8. Oh and back before the internet, for those of us old enough to remember, guys were saying the same thing about the 4.0 versus the 4.2.
Since the 4.2 was 112-118 HP and the 4.0 was 180 HP. I'd say YES the conversations were nearly the same, something like:

The new engine offers excellent response and a noticeable improvement in power -- the 4.0 is significantly faster from a stop and when passing. Also, the engine sounds much more upscale than the carburated 4.2-liter, and the exhaust note is more agressive. Paired either with or without air conditioning, it feels much more refined. Where the 4.2 feels pokey, the 4.0 actually makes the new YJ feel spry. Jeep estimates that the new engine reduces 0-60 times by 2-3 seconds with or without air conditioning, and when we took a Wrangler Sport to the track, we confirmed this estimate. The new Jeep hit 60 mph in 13.7 seconds, while all of the 4.2-liter Wranglers took between 19.8 and 20.2 seconds with the AC on."
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
I just did a test drive with a 2012 JKU (manual) in my local dealer this morning.

Very honestly, no difference in the accelaration
I am rewording my post because I think it came across overly harsh. How can this be? We know there is a difference?

Last edited by Pcgizzmo; 08-22-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

So any ways....

Looks like the numbers for the Pentastar are good.. I'm happy Jeep is improving the vehicle, interior, engine whatever.. Be happy that the new 3.6 is an improvement..

Last edited by Sprocket; 08-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

I'm guilty of dogging on the 3.8 and I will stop now. I've wanted a JK for four years and there was now way I was gonna go from a 275HP Rainier to a 200hp Jeep for $32,000. But 400,000 bought and enjoyed their JK's the last four years while I missed out. So this will finally be my year and all you 3.8 owners have something very nice to move up to when your ready with most mods carrying over. The 3.6 will strengthen JK sales even more and that's great for all of us. Besides why would Chrysler want to spend the money on a diesel option if the JK was a slow seller??

PS I've owned two first year GM products, '07,'10 and had had VERY little problems. This is a second year motor and an old transmission, not much to worry about. The 3.8 was over 15 years old when installed in the JK and it hasn't been trouble free. And that's what a 5 year warranty is for.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danmojo82
I'm not old enough to drive a Vette yet, I'll stick with the GC SRT8 for a while.
Hey! I thought that was your wife's new set of wheels. How often does she hand over the keys to that beast?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARM2004
i watched that video of the drag race and that 3.8 straight got dusted bad! i must be missing something as to why all these people who have test drove a 2012 dont see much of difference?
The 3.6 is not a off the line torquey motor so they don't feel the torque so they don't think it is fast.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

I test drove a 12 jku last weekend. There was a HUGE differance between 5 and 6k rpm. I will be getting the two door version as soon as the rebates flow.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by totdoc
I find it amusing when people make comments like this. "Gee, when sitting in gridlock, I didn't see any real world difference"...Oh c'mon! A smart car and a Ferrari would have no "real world" difference in that circumstance! For off peak traffic times, or anywhere else in the country where you have freeway driving to deal with, the new engine is WONDERFUL! I have a fair bit of merging onto fast moving highways here in Florida, and having the extra acceleration is really a game changer for me. Trying to merge onto the highway when you are not up to speed is a safety issue...and one that isn't a problem at all with the 2012. I am driving the 4 door manual, and it feels at LEAST as spirited as my Honda Civic did when I would merge onto the highway. In town, I like having the option of pulling out at a turn on red situation into rather briskly moving traffic, instead of having to wait for the light to change.

People love to talk about how the Jeep isn't a race car, and there is no need to discuss quarter mile times or 0-60 times. Personally, I think all that stuff directly translates into real world driving when you are talking about any of those situations I just talked about. Having the extra grunt at speed to try and change lanes or pass is very nice, too. Oh...and there is a minor payback at the pump, too, with a little better gas milage!

If you have a 2011 and you are happy with the performance, I'm happy for you. Do I think you need to go scrap your current ride to change up to a 2012? No...but please don't bring the hate when the new engine is described as an improvement. Because it is.
Agreed...
That is the type of stuff that is important in "real world" driving. I don't buy the 0-60 time of 6.7..nor do I really care.
What I DO care about is the ability to easily pass on a two lane highway...or 30 mph to 70 mph when I would try to merge onto the toll-way in Chicago....or the ability to accelerate with traffic without having the floor it.

I would like to see more tests of "real world" driving. Give me a JKU auto with two people in it and another 40 pounds of grocieries in the back.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
I'm guilty of dogging on the 3.8 and I will stop now. I've wanted a JK for four years and there was now way I was gonna go from a 275HP Rainier to a 200hp Jeep for $32,000. But 400,000 bought and enjoyed their JK's the last four years while I missed out. So this will finally be my year and all you 3.8 owners have something very nice to move up to when your ready with most mods carrying over. The 3.6 will strengthen JK sales even more and that's great for all of us. Besides why would Chrysler want to spend the money on a diesel option if the JK was a slow seller??
From 2010 to 2011, sales increased more than 25%, a HUGE increase. So don't misinterpret a continued trend because of a new motor in 2012. I guarantee, 9 of 10 Wrangler owners in 2012 will have no idea there was a change from a 3.x V6 to a 3.y V6.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Are you sure? Perhaps you were drugged, abducted by aliens, politically motivated, brainwashed, the victim of hate, envy, jealosy, economics, Red Bull? Surely it cain't be true? You better take a 2012 owner with you, to certify your obsesrvations, otherwise you can't be trusted to your self.

All kidding beside, the point is to have fun on this site, but share the truth. For the auto owners, I see the huge difference. Lets wait and see if the manuals get the same improvement.
I agree with you. The manual '12 felt no different at all over my '10. The 'old' 4 speed tranny was not only a slushbox but a junkbox as well. The new 5 has to be an improvement. Seems like the auto owners see a night and day difference where the manual owners see almost none at all.

Last edited by SWRUBI; 08-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: First Pentastar Acceleration Numbers