Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Pentastar Acceleration Numbers

Old 08-21-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Actually it's torque that produces 0-60 acceleration, not horsepower. And...the 3.6 has more torque and lower down than the soccer mom engine.
As soon as you introduce a "time" element, the equation becomes one of horsepower.
Horsepower concerns the amount of work done in a certain amount of time.

Let's say you pull the engine out of the JK, and install a set of pedals and a chain, hooked up to the drive shaft. With the proper chain wheel ratio, it would be possible for you to apply a torque, equal to the original engine, to the drive shaft, and move the vehicle. The difference is, you can't do it at 60 mph, because a human can produce only a fraction of 1 horsepower.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking forward to testing a new 2012- looks like the numbers speak for themselves- I keep hearing that the engine sounds much better- the old engine sounded terrible - glad to see more positives on the 2012's
Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Torque, HP, maybe its the magic Pentagrail engine cover (I put it on my lawn mower and OMG what an improvement), fact is its QUICKER!!!

Sorry Im tired, I shouldnt be posting... these arguments crack me up!!! I think the 2012 could spew $100 bills from the center console and some people would criticize that JEEPS arent supposed to produce $100 bills!!! Cmon people, Jeep addressed a few concerns and you are complaining???

WOW. Is it perfect? Of course not. But shesh...
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
Doesn't the Liberty have the 3.7? That's a completely different engine than the 3.8 in the JK.
You are correct...
I was thinking about how much of a guzzler my engine was....and for some reason, I was thinking of the 3.8.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msquaredIN
Torque, HP, maybe its the magic Pentagrail engine cover (I put it on my lawn mower and OMG what an improvement), fact is its QUICKER!!!

Sorry Im tired, I shouldnt be posting... these arguments crack me up!!! I think the 2012 could spew $100 bills from the center console and some people would criticize that JEEPS arent supposed to produce $100 bills!!! Cmon people, Jeep addressed a few concerns and you are complaining???

WOW. Is it perfect? Of course not. But shesh...
Just because a merchant makes CLAIMS of superior product, new improved, better, faster, lemon fresh, 30% more, etc., don't make it so. As pointed out time and time again, if automobiles had improved as much as claimed since the 1950's, we'd have jeeps getting 100 mpg, 200+ mph top speed, 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and cost about 15k. Come people, quit being the perfect customers! If the 2012 is so much better, we will all cheer. If its not, will the owners admit it?

And by the way, replacing the engine (and transmission for slushbox lovers) was nothing more than a cost savings measure. Everything - repeat - everything a manufacturer does is a cost savings.

Last edited by jhol111964; 08-22-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the autos, I wonder how much of the acceleration improvement is the engine and how much is the new transmission. Remember that the 2011 was a 4 speed auto and the 2012 is a 5 speed. Also, I have not seen the gear rations for the trans which could make a major difference as well. For the manuals, does anyone know if they changed the gear ratios in the trans?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
I just test drove a '12 Rubicon and really didn't see much of a difference in city driving. Typical Califonia, when I went to get on the freeway (the 91) we were sitting in traffic so I didn't get to test it upstairs. I really wanted this motor to be everything is has been hyped up to be and more but I don't see that much of a real world difference.
I find it amusing when people make comments like this. "Gee, when sitting in gridlock, I didn't see any real world difference"...Oh c'mon! A smart car and a Ferrari would have no "real world" difference in that circumstance! For off peak traffic times, or anywhere else in the country where you have freeway driving to deal with, the new engine is WONDERFUL! I have a fair bit of merging onto fast moving highways here in Florida, and having the extra acceleration is really a game changer for me. Trying to merge onto the highway when you are not up to speed is a safety issue...and one that isn't a problem at all with the 2012. I am driving the 4 door manual, and it feels at LEAST as spirited as my Honda Civic did when I would merge onto the highway. In town, I like having the option of pulling out at a turn on red situation into rather briskly moving traffic, instead of having to wait for the light to change.

People love to talk about how the Jeep isn't a race car, and there is no need to discuss quarter mile times or 0-60 times. Personally, I think all that stuff directly translates into real world driving when you are talking about any of those situations I just talked about. Having the extra grunt at speed to try and change lanes or pass is very nice, too. Oh...and there is a minor payback at the pump, too, with a little better gas milage!

If you have a 2011 and you are happy with the performance, I'm happy for you. Do I think you need to go scrap your current ride to change up to a 2012? No...but please don't bring the hate when the new engine is described as an improvement. Because it is.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Just because a merchant makes CLAIMS of superior product, new improved, better, faster, lemon fresh, 30% more, etc., don't make it so. As pointed out time and time again, if automobiles had improved as much as claimed since the 1950's, we'd have jeeps getting 100 mpg, 200+ mph top speed, 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and cost about 15k. Come people, quit being the perfect customers! If the 2012 is so much better, we will all cheer. If its not, will the owners admit it?

And by the way, replacing the engine (and transmission for slushbox lovers) was nothing more than a cost savings measure. Everything - repeat - everything a manufacturer does is a cost savings.
I dont care what they CLAIM, I like the actual performance I have experienced! Im not blindly drinking the Chrysler / Jeep Corporate cool-aid. I have 1000 miles on mine and love it. Its not perfect. Its overpriced, should have come with things like door sill protectors, off road usable floor mats, grab handles, headlights that have decent output and other things BUT the performance is a noticable improvement! You can argue the numbers, the reason, the trans, whatever. Its quicker people! and for me thats what I wanted! So Jeep, thanks for the cost saving measures, I love em!

Anyone else notice the miracle that occurred? With the introduction of the 12, suddenly the previous model years are fantastic! Those of us who want a couple second improvement on acceleration, possibly better mileage or an auto transmission that doesnt hunt around for what gear to be in on hills are idiots. I guess all those threads with people asking where to spend hundreds on tunners, CAI, cat backs, etc to get a few more HP or a bit more torque were all just crazy people wasting money. Jeep gave us some improvement and no one but us "PERFECT CUSTOMERS" wants one.

Darn I got sucked into the madness! No insult intended to the previous Jeep owners who love their Jeep and are not hating on mine. But those of you hating the 12 and the people buying them, go enjoy your Jeep and let us enjoy ours. I hope you were a bit giddy and bragging about your new baby when you got yours. So cut us some slack while we do the same.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by msquaredIN

I dont care what they CLAIM, I like the actual performance I have experienced! Im not blindly drinking the Chrysler / Jeep Corporate cool-aid. I have 1000 miles on mine and love it. Its not perfect. Its overpriced, should have come with things like door sill protectors, off road usable floor mats, grab handles, headlights that have decent output and other things BUT the performance is a noticable improvement! You can argue the numbers, the reason, the trans, whatever. Its quicker people! and for me thats what I wanted! So Jeep, thanks for the cost saving measures, I love em!

Anyone else notice the miracle that occurred? With the introduction of the 12, suddenly the previous model years are fantastic! Those of us who want a couple second improvement on acceleration, possibly better mileage or an auto transmission that doesnt hunt around for what gear to be in on hills are idiots. I guess all those threads with people asking where to spend hundreds on tunners, CAI, cat backs, etc to get a few more HP or a bit more torque were all just crazy people wasting money. Jeep gave us some improvement and no one but us "PERFECT CUSTOMERS" wants one.

Darn I got sucked into the madness! No insult intended to the previous Jeep owners who love their Jeep and are not hating on mine. But those of you hating the 12 and the people buying them, go enjoy your Jeep and let us enjoy ours. I hope you were a bit giddy and bragging about your new baby when you got yours. So cut us some slack while we do the same.
You will not find me in the camp criticizing the new motor. I'm glad Jeep responded to harsh criticism of the public (and to their competitors). As for me, I plan on a supercharger so the next time a 12 or later looks at my 07 and thinks he can whoop up on me, I will have a little surprise for him.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

msquaredIN I'm glad you enjoy yours. I test drove a 12 Rubicon the other day and thought that there was a night and day difference over the previous engine. They made it even more fun to drive than it already was.

Quick Reply: First Pentastar Acceleration Numbers