Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First oil change (free at the dealership). Anything to look out for?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My most important things I make sure to have in place when working on my Jeep:

- The right music or the right game on the radio
- The hoppiest 6 pack of IPA I can find that day
- More time than I need, because I'll most certainly have so much fun I end doing more than what I'd planned
Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the advice and confidence. I've got a couple hundred miles (week and a half with my daily drive) and I'll be due for an oil change. I'd rather do all together so I can keep a better log. Of course the oil change would be the most frequent of the services. I am leaning towards 10w-30 according to the different threads relating to oil use...I have the 3.8, not 3.6. So I have a bit of the noise that most Forum members have referenced. Being in South Texas, we encounter more heat than cold, so I believe that weight should be the most effective. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the help...I will update my experience.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 3.8 and I use 10w30. Runs great.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed a drain plug on my transmission pan so that I can do the trans fluid every time I do engine oil.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Pics? Video? I bought all my materials...attempting next weekend.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKNRND
Pics? Video? I bought all my materials...attempting next weekend.
Pics and video of what?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Did you get the drain plug the has the little spigot on it? I saw them online the other day.

That's what I meant by pics or video.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Dorman Products - 65128

This is what I have. To install it you must remove the oil pan and drill the pan. I don't have a video but there's probably one out there.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

First oil change in the books!

I do have to share the experience though...grab a beer!! Haha

Bought my 10w-30 Mobile1 Full synthetic (1-5qt container & 1-1qt= 6 quarts) cheaper to buy the larger 5 quart.

Mobile1 Oil Filter

Oil catch pan...fancy one the guy talked me into buying (easier recycling)

So my experience begins:

Tools ready: 13mm socket, ready to rock.

Well, I have skid plates covering almost the entire undercarriage, so well protected...but there is a convenient opening where the oil plug can be accessed. From first glance, it looked as though it was going to be a very simple, quick process...and it could've been if I would've known what was about to happen...

I loosen the plug with the socket, start to remove it by hand...carefully adjusting the oil pan so that I catch every drop...

As the plug comes free, the oil begins to flow...as I watched in wonder of how easy this actually is...I get all warm and fuzzy...from my hand, down to my heart (make that my chest). I soon realize, these warm and fuzzies aren't from my sense of accomplishment, but rather the oil running down the skid...down the sleeve of my sweatshirt...and eventually down the inside of my sweatshirt pooling on my chest.

Luckily the majority of the oil soaked into my sweatshirt and on the big blue moving blanket I had on the floor. Holy Cow!!

Fortunately, this was the only problem, or OFI (opportunity for improvement) as I call it for my football players. I do know now to either remove or loosen the skid a bit to prevent this from happening again, or devise some sort of shield to deflect the oil down once it reaches the skid.

I don't want to sound like an infomercial, but the change in oil (weight) made an immediate difference on the sound and vibration of my motor. Took ole Sweet-Pea around the block for about 10 mins and she ran great.

Differential and transmission fluid coming up this weekend...if enough time, plugs as well.

Thank you to those who helped this novice coach tackle his first oil change.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

A) You have some writing skills! That was fun to read. Looking forward to your next write up!

B) Do you feel as though you bonded with your Jeep?

C) Isn't it great knowing it was done correctly?

My Jeep needs an oil change, detail, tire rotation, alignment and a new soft top and I CANNOT WAIT to do it in a few weeks. I do alignments myself with string and a ruler. "Honey, it's gonna be a Jeep day. I'll be out front." Wife: "Use a condom dear. Weirdo."

Gotta check the baseball schedule. I'll do it on a day when the day has my teams on back to back; Giants and A's. Nothing better than working on the Jeep to a baseball game. Oh and I make my wife dress sexy too because it's awesome wrenching on your Jerp and checking out your wife, go nail her, then go back to wrenching. Just an awesome day of manly goodness.

Quick Reply: First oil change (free at the dealership). Anything to look out for?