Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First oil change (free at the dealership). Anything to look out for?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@spartan99 - Jeep manual recommends tire rotation at each oil change or at the first sign of irregular wear.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure they replace the oil cap. My local stealership forgot. I mean isn't that part of the oil change?

ON MY FIRST OIL CHANGE!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup The horrible dealer I just took my jeep to get oil change done also forgot my oil cap as well
Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by russebp
@spartan99 - Jeep manual recommends tire rotation at each oil change or at the first sign of irregular wear.
They recommend a lot of things that are unnecessary to convince you to buy the service. $20 Tire rotations at every oil change? At 60k miles, which is about the life of the OEM tires, you'd pay $400, which doesn't factor in a) taxes b) up sells while there for the tire rotation.

$400 is about the cost of a new set of tires. I drove my Wranglers for 70k miles, rotated them only a few times, and got new tires for about $400 on Ebay.

$400 to rotate tires over the life of the tire is just another scam.

Further, at the first sign of irregular wear, the thing to do is fix whatever's causing the irregularity. For me, when this happens, the LAST thing I do is rotate tires. Why? Because the tire wear from that point on will tell you whether the matter has been corrected. The tires' wear patterns have a lot of information to give as to whether the matter was corrected, and rotating the tires ruins that data capture. Ruining that data capture is advantageous for a dealer, though.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99

They recommend a lot of things that are unnecessary to convince you to buy the service. $20 Tire rotations at every oil change? At 60k miles, which is about the life of the OEM tires, you'd pay $400, which doesn't factor in a) taxes b) up sells while there for the tire rotation.

$400 is about the cost of a new set of tires. I drove my Wranglers for 70k miles, rotated them only a few times, and got new tires for about $400 on Ebay.

$400 to rotate tires over the life of the tire is just another scam.

Further, at the first sign of irregular wear, the thing to do is fix whatever's causing the irregularity. For me, when this happens, the LAST thing I do is rotate tires. Why? Because the tire wear from that point on will tell you whether the matter has been corrected. The tires' wear patterns have a lot of information to give as to whether the matter was corrected, and rotating the tires ruins that data capture. Ruining that data capture is advantageous for a dealer, though.
We use discount tire and buy a lifetime rotation. It's like $12/tire. And rotating in the 5th tire extends the life of the tires by 20%-ish. Basically, dealerships in general are a scam.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

I want to start changing my own oil, Manual transmission fluid, front and rear differentials...all that good stuff. No father figure or auto body as a young adult to learn how. I've searched youtube and am fairly confident, but need some reassurance. I just don't want to jack up a perfectly good Jeep!! Any advice besides trial and error?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

@JKNRND The 3.6 is a joy to change the oil on. Drain plug, drain, replace drain plug, pull filter element and replace, pour close to recommended amount, check dipstick. Top off if need be. Check for drips. YouTube probably has it more thorough. It's a breeze.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JKNRND
I want to start changing my own oil, Manual transmission fluid, front and rear differentials...all that good stuff. No father figure or auto body as a young adult to learn how. I've searched youtube and am fairly confident, but need some reassurance. I just don't want to jack up a perfectly good Jeep!! Any advice besides trial and error?
You can do it. You won't ruin anything. Working on Jeeps is fun. Just grab a Chiltons manual or whatever and go at it and enjoy.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99

You can do it. You won't ruin anything. Working on Jeeps is fun. Just grab a Chiltons manual or whatever and go at it and enjoy.
Just remember to put the drain plug back in..... (that can ruin something). Otherwise it's easy. If you have your own socket wrenches, (somewhat handy) you got this.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And make sure you put the filter o-ring in the right groove. Just look at the one you removed.

Quick Reply: First oil change (free at the dealership). Anything to look out for?