Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

first oil change

Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default first oil change

I'm at almost at 6k on my new JK and the computer said I had 40% oil life remaining. So I decided to change it. (I'm not going 10k between changes.) I took out the oil filter first and then the oil pan plug. After it slowed to a very long drip, I put in the new filter, oil plug and filled it up. When I started to put the dirty oil into the old 5qt jug to recycle it, a funny thing happened. ALL of my old oil fit in it. :-/
5 out, 6 in. This happen to anybody else here?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
I'm at almost at 6k on my new JK and the computer said I had 40% oil life remaining. So I decided to change it. (I'm not going 10k between changes.) I took out the oil filter first and then the oil pan plug. After it slowed to a very long drip, I put in the new filter, oil plug and filled it up. When I started to put the dirty oil into the old 5qt jug to recycle it, a funny thing happened. ALL of my old oil fit in it. :-/
5 out, 6 in. This happen to anybody else here?
yes you slowly burn oil...
Old 07-23-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Consider this: you don't get every drop out. The filter is also saturated with oil. And, I learned the hard way about blindly dumping six quarts back in. This can cause the oil level to be high which can cause oil to migrate into your air filter. Now I find myself putting about 5.5 quarts in, maybe a little more.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Consider this: you don't get every drop out. The filter is also saturated with oil. And, I learned the hard way about blindly dumping six quarts back in. This can cause the oil level to be high which can cause oil to migrate into your air filter. Now I find myself putting about 5.5 quarts in, maybe a little more.
This is also another good point. If you burnt 1 whole quart of oil already thats a problem, but when i do my oil its about the same as you described.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maertz
This is also another good point. If you burnt 1 whole quart of oil already thats a problem, but when i do my oil its about the same as you described.
What they said...also if you have an aftermarket CAI the crankcase connector is on the tube and not passing through the airfilter box. What you get if you blindly put in 6 quarts is oil splatter in your throttle body. 5.5 quarts is the way to go.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I put in 5 quarts. Start it to check for leaks and fill the filter, then shut it off. After a few minutes, I check the dip stick and bring it up to the FULL mark. I know it's always a little less than 6 quarts total, but don't really pay much attention to it as long as it's at the FULL mark when all is done.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm almost ready for my third oil change on my 14 jk. The same thing happened to me with both of my prior changes. It made me nervous for a while but I'm doing fine with about 5.5 qts & keeping an eye on the level. I suspect that there is a little over half a qt in the valleys that can't be drained.

Quick Reply: first oil change