Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Full Socket/Tool Set

Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Full Socket/Tool Set

Didn't know whether this belonged in modified or stock, but I am contemplating purchasing some sort of semi-complete Craftsman socket/tool set for general maitenance. Changing oil, lift, differential, etc, not going to be doing anything to major. I'm also still renting, so garage space is either: non-existent or limited, and in the case I do move, I don't want a big, totally full 1000 pc (forgive my hyperbole) set to put into storage. Just something solid, with all the essential diameters, different drives, extensions, and theoretically something that comes in a case so it can come in the jeep with me, or from year to year, be easy to shlep, in other words, not something that necessitates having a big red craftsman tool box either.

I was looking at craftsman.com (just as a starting point) and it seemed like there were some solid 154 piece sets for 99.99...

I'm just wondering if you out there has some experience with sets in the 70-130 price range (doesn't have to be one company or another necessarily), that are just overall solid kits, have all the essentials for this Jeep (all the right sizes), have a case and such...

Basically, I want a simple, yet full set of sockets and whatnot's so I can start exploring the inner grease monkey.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I find that a Robogrip wrench, set of metric combo wrenches, a screw driver that has a few different heads, a multi-head Torx tool, 3/8" metric only sockets, a three inch 3/8" extension, and ratchet handle works well for me. It all fits in a little pouch in the tool cubby where the jack is. If you have the room a nice set like you are talking about would be nice but maybe not needed. Just my opinion. You may just want to grab your tools and spend an hour or so touching every bolt, nut, screw you can. This will give you a good idea of what you need to carry.

I also put my 4 way lug nut wrench along with my high-lift jack in there when I go wheeling.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you get make SURE it comes with an 18mm socket and 18mm open end wrench.
The JK is full of 18mm nuts and bolts and for damn reason just about every tool kit out there is missing just this size.

Some will have the 18mm spark plug socket but it's too deep for most suspension work.
The 3/4" kind of fits in a sloppy way but also loves to round off high torque bolts.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a lot of Craftsmen tools. I would not recommend their ratchets. I have stripped the ratcheting mechanism out of every since one I own. Unless you live close to a sears store and don't mind getting re-manufactured replacements all the time. I personally don't like carrying a dozen broken ratchets with me.

I will say that I am impressed with the quality of the sockets, ratchets, and wrenches from Harbor Freight. I bought a who extra set of tools from there just for the Jeep. If you watch their adds & coupons you can get everything you need for ~$30-$40.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mixilpidilstick
I have a lot of Craftsmen tools. I would not recommend their ratchets. I have stripped the ratcheting mechanism out of every since one I own. Unless you live close to a sears store and don't mind getting re-manufactured replacements all the time. I personally don't like carrying a dozen broken ratchets with me.

I will say that I am impressed with the quality of the sockets, ratchets, and wrenches from Harbor Freight. I bought a who extra set of tools from there just for the Jeep. If you watch their adds & coupons you can get everything you need for ~$30-$40.
I agree I bought a set of impact sockets from harbor freight and for the price point you can't beat them. I can't speak for their ratchets. I like the Lowes (USA made) ratchets they seem pretty nice.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Where is this thread located.... "vBCms Comments"... I feel like we fell off the edge of the world.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing
Where is this thread located.... "vBCms Comments"... I feel like we fell off the edge of the world.
It did for a bit, but it's back now.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Any more experiences...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Both lowes and homedepot have pretty nice sets that come in cases.

Home depot is husky brand. I have a lot of these and they are good quality

Lowes is cobalt brand and they are nice as well. I don't have too many of these

Craftsman are ok I have several pieces and I use them the least

I also have lots of snap on and they are my favorite. But they are very expensive.

If I were in your shoes I would check out the husky set

Last edited by Brashanic; 08-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Were do you live ? Canadian tire has a nice Stanley 109 piece kit for $69, $229 reg pretty good deal

Quick Reply: First Full Socket/Tool Set