Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Aid kits--get one

Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IonZone
A company called Adventure Medical sells a bunch of different size kits. I got one, they are really nice.
They make really good kits of all different sizes. I've used my kit once in Baja when a guy cut open his hand really bad and I've used my smaller Adventure Medical Kit on many camping trips. I'm a nurse, so my kit it pretty big.
It has:
Lots of guazes, different sizes
different types of tape, wraped around a pencil (it's smaller that way, and you can use the pencil too.) don't forget duct tape
Antiseptics- iodine and a few other goodies
alchohol pads
Ace bandage
super glue (was originally invented to glue organs for surgery...great to use instead of sutures.)
Many different sizes of bandaids
Emergency blanket
eye drops
twizers
scissors
lighter
Medications: Pain killers (ibuprofen), anti-diarrea, epi-pen for bee stings, a few others... I don't remember
hand sanitizer
gloves
I think that's about it, but there may be a bit more.

I put them all in zip lock bags, which you can fill with water, cut a hole, and use the bag to squirt the water out, to clean the wound. Make sure the water is clean.

Everyone should go out and get a first aid kit for their Jeep!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone posted it above, and I'll post it again to reiterate it's importance.

Super Glue.

It's one of the *KEY* things missing from most peoples first aid kits. If it's not in your kit, put it in there.

It can be an absolute life saver, as you can "weld" a very deep wound (or even minor wounds) together in seconds. This could save potential major blood loss in emergency situations, and you don't need much expertise to use it. Close wound, wipe blood away and dab it across the wound while pinching it togeter -- insta-stiches that bind in seconds. Just be careful not to glue yourself to the preson.

Also, hospitals know how to remove it in emergencies, too.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Besides the routine sunburn spray and bandaids, I have a couple of Epi pens and Epi Jr, Disposable Intubation kit, disposable Laerdal Bag II bag valve mask, Epi, Lido, ASA, Glucose paste, NaCl (2 500cc bags), assorted IV cannulas and IV tubing, saline locks, suture kits, portable defib, Bolin chest seals, pulse ox, Celox A bleeding control granules, and copies of signed release of all liability should you or a loved one request my assistance. I think that covers most of it.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget a writing pen that twists in half and a mostly sharp pocket knife...I cant tell you how many times I have had to perform a field tracheotomy...Thats how I got my screen name!!! Its the first thing I do when I see someone go down on the trail. I have perform this procedure on bee stings, stubbed toes, headaches and everything in between - haven't lost a patient yet. As an aggressive first responder, I am always amazed by how people react to emergency assistance, I have literally had to chase people down!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a level 1 first aid kit for all my vehicles.

besides the obvious bandages, gauzes. scissors, tweezers...etc. Make sure you have rubber gloves and a pocket mask for CPR. Don't think most first aiders enjoy working on a person without the gloves and mask when there is blood or vomit around!

Most important is to keep up with your Level 1 First Aid Ticket to know the basics on first aid to help out a hurt person and ensure your kit is updated with the missing items!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default First Aid Kit

I have a kit too it never leaves my jeep I also keep a survival kit that I renew each summer, never hurts to be ready in case something happens. I figure its good insurance even if I never need it.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

mine first aid kit has, antibiotic cream, advil, gauze, bandages, beer, and a pack of cigarettes
Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RipperMan
Don't forget a writing pen that twists in half and a mostly sharp pocket knife...I cant tell you how many times I have had to perform a field tracheotomy...Thats how I got my screen name!!! Its the first thing I do when I see someone go down on the trail. I have perform this procedure on bee stings, stubbed toes, headaches and everything in between - haven't lost a patient yet. As an aggressive first responder, I am always amazed by how people react to emergency assistance, I have literally had to chase people down!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: First Aid kits--get one