Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First 1,000 miles. My Observations

Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 4dr w/3.73's, auto and stock 32in tires. A little over 4K miles now. The engine does seem sluggish. But, side by side with my wife’s manual 4.0 TJ w/ 4.56 and 33in tires, mine will out accelerate it. The JK engine is so quiet it's deceiving.
No way the JK 3.8 has any where near the low end pulling power of the 4.0. Then again, no way the 4.0 has anywhere near the low end pulling power of the old 258 either
Eventually, I plan to do the same thing with my JK as I have done with past Jeeps. Find a Chevy 350 TBI truck engine with a turbo 400 trans and drop it in
During the swap process, I might even find the wire to the tire pressure indicator and yank it's guts out too

Last edited by whatroads; 03-07-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
urbikesucks

Default they will come

havent met and read anyone w/ no problems w/ theese new jeeps.
Don't get me wrong have had many jeeps but this one being new inside and out has some issues.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, the horn bugged me too. Especially when my wife said it sounded cute.

As far as rear seat access, I even find it hard to squeeze my hand in to get to the release lever. I sat back there and hurt a stomach muscle getting out. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get out it hurt so bad, I'm not kidding. The gap is way to small or I'm way too out of shape, or both.

Overall, the Jeep is very comfortable, though. Better than I had hoped. Luckily, I'll never have to sit in the back because its just like wheeling, don't do it alone.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by urbikesucks
havent met and read anyone w/ no problems w/ theese new jeeps.
Don't get me wrong have had many jeeps but this one being new inside and out has some issues.
I guess I'm lucky -- no problems/issues here with my 08! I did have problems with the M151 I drove at Ft Campbell in the '80s: the left front wheel came off at about 30 mph....
Old 03-08-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far the only thing I do not like is that there is no left foot rest! Elec windows, Nav system and no foot rest...a tough life.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

The only real issues I have with mine is that the weather stripping on the passenger side front door, even after being replaced, still falls off. Anyone else have this issue?????

Also....the stick for the 4WD, etc....has no lighting??? And the letters are what.... black??? Anyone find a fix for this? I can't see when I'm switching it into 4WD. At least make the lettering white!

Kelly
Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kellykell9
The only real issues I have with mine is that the weather stripping on the passenger side front door, even after being replaced, still falls off. Anyone else have this issue?????

Kelly

Yes, I had my passenger weather strip kept getting pulled out. Some of the black caulk was slopped onto the metal, where the weather strip met the frame, when the door was closed. Every time the door was opened the weather strip would be pulled out by the caulk.
I used standard rubbing alcohol to clean up the door frame and weather strip. I then made sure the weather strip was not otherwise torn or damage and re-installed it. My problem was solved
Old 03-08-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by whatroads
Yes, I had my passenger weather strip kept getting pulled out. Some of the black caulk was slopped onto the metal, where the weather strip met the frame, when the door was closed. Every time the door was opened the weather strip would be pulled out by the caulk.
I used standard rubbing alcohol to clean up the door frame and weather strip. I then made sure the weather strip was not otherwise torn or damage and re-installed it. My problem was solved

Did you re-install it yourself? If so, what did you use to secure it in place, besides just pushing it back into place?

What a pain in the arse...

Kelly
Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by the hiking viking
I've owned my JK now for just over a month and this morning coming to work, the odometer rolled over 1,000 miles. Here are some observations I made over the last 30 days. Keep in mind that I drove CJs for 20 years, that's my benchmark for these remarks.

1. Love my JK. Nothing has pi$$ed me off about it.
2. I'm thrilled that it rides just like my CJ. Just tighter and quieter.
3. Mud flaps. Wow, my doors get completely covered in frozen road slush from my front tires. Flaps are on my upgrade list. It's a PITA knocking off the junk
4. Engine temp. Seems to get hot quick in the winter. Once hot, my needle stays dead center on the gauge.
5. Wiper blades freeze up quick in heavy snow. 'Natch. They have for 60+ years right? Just figured that they would have figured out how to fix this by now. The rear wiper on my hardtop has a defroster wire keeping it somewhat clear. They couldn't do that for the front?
6. ESP Works. Very hard to have fun in the snow with this on. Glad I can turn if off.
7. Center cosole arm rest. Way to low. I'm 6 foot and it's too much of a lean for me to use it.
8. Seat vs. the rear view mirror. This one I'm still trying to figure out. Practically everytime I get in the Jeep, I have to adjust my mirror. ?? Don't know if my seat is sagging from the setting where I have it or what. I'm sure the mirror isn't sagging. I sit myself in the same position every time. Never had this issue in my CJs. Always fiddling with it.
9. Power. Bit of a dog under 30 mph, seems restrained. I'm running an auto with 3.73 gears in the pumpkins. I feel like I have to punch that gas pedal to go, can't seem to find a gradual power increase with it. Lot of travel on that pedal before the RPM's kick up and move me.
10. Dropping the windshield. Looking over the owners manual, and then later pics found here on jk forums. Dang, not happy that it is so complicated. Plus, it looks terrible.
11. Getting my 8 year old son in the back seat is a PITA. My CJ seat goes forward more. He's not complaining yet about squirming his 90 pounds back there, yet. I've ridden in the back seat and I got to say there is a huge difference over my CJ. Much more room.
12. Visibility. Very good through all windows and mirrors. Took the headrests out of the rear seat, didn't need them back there.
13. Radio. I'm not a big stereo guy but these speakers seem too weak in my quiet hardtop. Upgrade.
14. Horn. Wow, does that sound like a piece of sh*t. Don't like that at all. Upgrade!
15. Tranny, shifts good no complaints. Shift handle is bleh. Want to do something with that.
16. Transfer case, East to shift. Used it several times on my snowy street and in snowy parking lots. No problems.
17. Grill / Jeep emblem. Didn't like the look of the grill so got some advice from here and took the J e e p letters off with some fishing line. Much better!
18. Gas Filler cap. That needs upgraded, no security now and it's fugly. Locking billet door on its way.
19. Fuel MPG. Been getting about 17.5 MPG. Right between the posted City/Highway averages. Where it should be since I split my driving between the two. Will look to improve that with some upgrades.
20. Hood lift. I've noticed it on the highway a few times the hood lifting ever so slightly. I see there's a thread on jk-forums about it, will read up on it more.
21. jk-forum. Excellent! This is a great web site with gobs of good stuff on it. Glad I stumbled across it. W00T!

Happy, what can I say. I've waited about 5 years buying a new Jeep. Been holding out for a Jeep truck, just go sick of waiting for one that will probably never come. But hey, since I bought this one, the Jeep truck will come out next year right?

Jeep On!
Ditto bout the mud flaps and armrest. Horn and hood lift too. No complaints bout the power tho, got the 4.10 and I was expecting it to be a lil 'conservative' off the line. Planning on some mods/upgrades for a lot of the small stuff.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: First 1,000 miles. My Observations