Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fire Extinguisher and Sun

Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher and Sun

I frequent the great outdoors for camping/hunting/fishing aventures and often find myself building camp fires at night.

So... i purchased a small fire extinguisher and mounted it where most everyone else does... the roll bar.

However, i never thought about it until recently. I see all these jeeps ridin around with fire extinguishers (FE) with the top down in direct sunlight. What are the chances of them exploding and sending crap all over my jeep and possible schrapnel into myself or surrounding drivers.

I want it out of the way... but do not want to be driving around with a bomb. The label says do not expose to temps higer than 120 F... even if it is 90 in the afternoon... direct sunlight on it would probably heat it up significantly

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is a pretty good question actually, all the MSDS's at work say to keep them (both the dry and wet type) stored OUT of direct sunlight.

There are some of the firefighter persuasion here abouts... maybe one of them has some better real world info than the lawyerised "besafe stupid" warnings.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

I would keep it out of direct sunlight too. Chances are nothing would ever happen, but most of them have very thin walls and if it did rupture you would have one hell of a mess. i dont think that shrapnel would be a big worry, but I suppose anything could happen.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put mine in the cargo hull.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Eternal ***erator

Mine is on the floor between the drivers door and seat, right under the seat height adjustment lever, it just fits in there snugly without a bracket.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Mine is on the floor between the drivers door and seat, right under the seat height adjustment lever, it just fits in there snugly without a bracket.
I have the velcro tape to do this same mounting position, but haven't gotten around to it yet... my extinguisher is currently bungeed around the driver side roll bar facing the back... and this is a great thread - I'm glad someone thought of this potential problem before we had a "my extinguisher exploded in my passenger's face" thread!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I have the velcro tape to do this same mounting position, but haven't gotten around to it yet... my extinguisher is currently bungeed around the driver side roll bar facing the back... and this is a great thread - I'm glad someone thought of this potential problem before we had a "my extinguisher exploded in my passenger's face" thread!
I just seat my mother in law on that side....

Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Junkie

BUMP^^^

oh... i will pay for the fire extinguisher if someone wants to play mythbusters!

Go ahead and post with you location and average temperature... highest one gets a free FE to mount in fun sunlight all day!

I will even pay shipping!! What a deal!! Dont miss out! Act now!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it does explode, you get better gas mileage for a few seconds. There is a good side to everything!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

We got up to 100 yesterday or was it the day before sometime this week. Of course I never park mine in dirrect sun it was in a shady spot but I never thought of that. I have thrown one into a fire just to let it explode.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher and Sun