Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fire Extinguisher

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher

So, I pull out of West Marine after buying some cup holder insert thingys for the "tailgating without a tailgate" mod AND a new fire extinguisher. Figured the JK deserved a nice anodized blue one instead of the red one that was with me for so many years in the old TJ. Anyway, what do I see in the median but a 70's Chevy truck with an engine fire. So, not only did I get to drive across the median, but the guy looks at me like I'm Elvis and Michael Phelps all rolled into one.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that's timing.... He bought you a new one right?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a good way to get rid of the old one!

Jeff
Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you survived to tell the tale.

Just my opinion, but there is no reason to approach a burning vehicle, especially a stranger's, unless there is a life on the line.

I've used a fire extinguisher to put out a couple of small brush fires on the side of the road, but when it comes to things that can go *BOOM*, I'll leave the fire fighting to the pros.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
I've used a fire extinguisher to put out a couple of small brush fires on the side of the road, but when it comes to things that can go *BOOM*, I'll leave the fire fighting to the pros.
Cars don't go BOOM unless they're wired by pyros for the movies or used by terrorists. They might burn real hot, but they don't explode.
Sometimes, although rare, they get hot enough to pop tires before the rubber melts/burns.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Cars don't go BOOM unless they're wired by pyros for the movies or used by terrorists. They might burn real hot, but they don't explode.
Sometimes, although rare, they get hot enough to pop tires before the rubber melts/burns.

Car batteries do go boom. And as we've seen in the unfortunate JK videos, sometimes they burn so fast that you'd think they went boom.

On a related note, I can tell you from an earlier life as a boatyard manager, boats definitely do go boom. BOOM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

I've said this in another post. If my jeep catches fire on the highway. I want it to burn down to the ground. I don't want any insurance adjuster saying "Oh, yeah. This can be fixed. I can't imangine the future problems that would come after damage from a fire is repaired.

My extingusher goes with me into the woods. I don't want to burn down the forest with me in it.

My other extingusher is in my garage for the same reason.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher