Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fiat Based CUV Jeep? Uh oh.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiat Based CUV Jeep? Uh oh.

Why cant we just have Wranglers and Cherokees?

Click here for full article.

There have been plenty of murmurings about how Fiat's partnership with Chrysler will impact the Jeep brand. Exactly how much platform sharing will occur between the Italian automaker and the Pentastar's globe-roaming purveyor of SUVs has been a hot topic amongst the Jeep faithful for some time. Now it appears that a video posted on YouTube by user thejeepchannel has given the world its first glance at a new Fiat-based crossover set to wear the famous seven-slot grille. In the video, a Jeep intern learns a bit about the company's design process, all while hovering around a clay model of one very CUV-looking creation.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

well, the purpose of any business is to profit... above ALL else. i know a lot of off-roaders think jeep has lost it's mind by doing things like making the interior of the wrangler more attractive, and basically making the grand cherokee an entry level benz. fact is, like it or not... it is going to appeal to the masses and it's probably a good idea.

that said, this prototype looks like it is on target to compete with popular crossover vehicles like the ford edge, nissan murano, etc. even the ford explorer is headed in that direction. i say dump the mario cart (compass) and build this crossover instead.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd take that over the Compass eight days out of the week.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think that is the redesign for the Compass. I heard that it looked like a "baby Grand Cherokee." I think that was someone on this site who said that. I may be mistaken.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

If they can pull off something similar to that concept photo and still make it trail rated then go for it!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have any problem with this. For our beloved Jeep to survive, it has to sell vehicles, so I am ok with variety.

What if the compass had been a really cool vehicle with good looks, a comfortable interior, decent gas mileage, instead of the toad that it is? Maybe a lot of people would buy one, and Jeep would have more money to spend on developing better vehicles. Just a thought.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know but I kinda like the little fiat panda..just watch some of the youtube vids...pretty neat little car.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like a redesign of the old Jeep - Eagle - Wagon. I always wanted to get one of those just to throw big tires on it. I know it wouldn't have worked out well but it sure would of looked cool.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the article all the way though..

Chrysler released this statement..

"While we certainly appreciate the interest, the clay model and sketches in the YouTube video represent past design studies, not the future of Jeep design. This and similar videos are targeted toward college students and the youth market in general, to build excitement about the Jeep brand, and to provide a glimpse into some of the processes we go through to create iconic Jeep vehicles."

Quick Reply: Fiat Based CUV Jeep? Uh oh.