Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A few things that irk me

Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dman1116
1. 'Bikers' that trailer their motorcycles to events.
2. 'Gearheads' that trailer their hotrods to shows.
3. 'Jeepers' who claim to be 'Jeepers', then trailer theirs to the trails.

Now I know 'sometimes' there are extenuating circumstances, just don't like it when people don't even have faith in their own equipment. Getting there is usually some of the best memories.

Boy, am I gonna take a beating for this thread...
Then why would you post it? I really don't get your line of thinking. My jk was my DD, but I trailered it when I could because I wanted to try the trails that might break me. Aaaaand then still be able to get home. Paid off for me. And a few friends along the way.

Ever hear that luck favors the prepared?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No1AP
Then why would you post it? I really don't get your line of thinking. My jk was my DD, but I trailered it when I could because I wanted to try the trails that might break me. Aaaaand then still be able to get home. Paid off for me. And a few friends along the way.

Ever hear that luck favors the prepared?
Those are the extenuating circumstances, do you drive yours daily, or just trailer it to trails to play?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

If u have a trailer and a truck to pull it, you would be a fool NOT to use it.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

What irks me is when people worry so much about what other people do when it doesn't affect them.

Last year my buddy was looking to buy a AC Cobra replica that was beautiful. He then realized it was an automatic. He responded to the ad writing a nasty insulting email of the guys intelligence as to why he would put an automatic in such a car. Turns out the guy was a veteran that lost his left leg in Iraq.

You never know what another's story is.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

To the OP. What do you care what others do with their stuff. I trailer my Jeep to the trails. It's a combination of comfort and knowing I can get my crap home should I break.
Now, if all you do is drive dirt roads and bunny trails, you wouldn't have to worry about that. Several of my friends have buggies on 42's, and my goal is to embarras them on the trails.
The guy's in my Jeep club appreciate that I was willing to spend thousands of dollars into my hobby, so that if they break, they know I could help them get home.
And I gladly give them the key's to my Jeep, and trailer theirs home for them.

With that attitude, I would get you back to the campground , should you break, but you better have a change in attitude or have good cell phone service to call AAA.
Just my $0.02
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dman1116

Those are the extenuating circumstances, do you drive yours daily, or just trailer it to trails to play?
I drive daily and trailer to trails.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helnbk
Now, if all you do is drive dirt roads and bunny trails, you wouldn't have to worry about that.
LoL, not neccesarily. When the "bunny trails" like I seek out (old overgrown logging trails that are just that compared to hardcore wheeling) are miles off a seasonal road which is more miles off any paved road, which is then 3 hours from home by expressway, it would still be a long ass walk. Seldom see another vehicle, and no cell signal to boot. Would like to wheel with other Jeepers, but few around here like to even risk scratching the paint much less crawling over a log.

If I had the trailor to handle hauling a Jeep and rig to pull it, there would be much greater piece of mind and more fun breakage risks to be taken. It is my DD but I have other vehicles in a pinch.

Even so, a 10 cent transistor failing in one of the computer modules could probably disable a JK more effectively than a broken axle. There is no driver control over that.

For that reason, when I want to beat on something it is with a trailered sand buggy, which the Jeep can pull.

Trailering your Jeep for hard or remote play if you have the means, no matter what terrain you wheel, seems smart to me.

Last edited by Yankee; 06-15-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by helnbk
Now, if all you do is drive dirt roads and bunny trails, you wouldn't have to worry about that.
LoL, not neccesarily. When the "bunny trails" like I seek out (old overgrown logging trails that are just that compared to hardcore wheeling) are miles off a seasonal road which is more miles off any real road, which is then 3 hours from home by expressway, it would still be a long ass walk. Seldom see another vehicle, and no cell signal to boot. Would like to wheel with other Jeepers, but few around here like to even risk scratching the paint.

If I had the trailor to handle hauling a Jeep and rig to pull it, there would be much greater piece of mind and more fun breakage risks to be taken. It is my DD but I have other vehicles in a pinch.

Even so, a 10 cent transistor failing in one of the many electronic modules could probably disable a JK more effectively than a broken axle. There is no driver control over that.

For that reason, when I want to beat on something it is with a trailered sand buggy, which the Jeep can pull.

Trailering your Jeep for hard or remote play if you have the means seems smart to me.

Last edited by Yankee; 06-15-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just think it's all a part of the Jeep experience, driving to the trails, top down/doors off, wheeling all day(not bunny trails), then driving home(or hotel/campground). I don't look down on folks, just don't get the reasoning, it's a general purpose vehicle, I can't imagine not driving mine everywhere...

Y'all are easily riled up though, didn't intend on offending, just expressing myself.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thedrod
What irks me is when people worry so much about what other people do when it doesn't affect them.

Last year my buddy was looking to buy a AC Cobra replica that was beautiful. He then realized it was an automatic. He responded to the ad writing a nasty insulting email of the guys intelligence as to why he would put an automatic in such a car. Turns out the guy was a veteran that lost his left leg in Iraq.

You never know what another's story is.
Had to quote because this says it all, thanks for sharing this story!

Quick Reply: A few things that irk me