Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fakeicons......on display.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So once I put my Project-JK decals on the Wrangler - does this mean I can sell it as the Limited Edition JK Wrangler?

Other thought: Did anyone else notice they also got the font wrong on the decals? Look at the true decals vs. the fakes and the letters seem slightly stretched horizontally - my wife is a graphic artist and noticed it immediately.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by galiean251
So once I put my Project-JK decals on the Wrangler - does this mean I can sell it as the Limited Edition JK Wrangler?

Other thought: Did anyone else notice they also got the font wrong on the decals? Look at the true decals vs. the fakes and the letters seem slightly stretched horizontally - my wife is a graphic artist and noticed it immediately.
Yes, I think we all noticed that
Old 03-10-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got called away on business the day after I saw them. Unfortunately I haven't been able to call the dealership or do anything about it yet. I plans to do a bit more research when I get back in town though.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

The BBB isn't going to do anything. It's no different then a kid putting Type-R badges on a Civic, or a Camaro Z28 owner putting on SS badges, or someone making a Shelby GT350 "clone".
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20JK10
The BBB isn't going to do anything. It's no different then a kid putting Type-R badges on a Civic, or a Camaro Z28 owner putting on SS badges, or someone making a Shelby GT350 "clone".
Yes I agree you with, there really nothing anybody can do unless someone buys the jeep and is told by the dealership that it is in fact a rubicon. And then it's up to the purchaser to press charges for false advertisement and or fraud. So I guess everyones getting all worked up over nothing......
Wait what if I took off my rubi stickers and tried selling it as an X. Would anybody get worked up about that?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by finnd1
Nope, if you go to Walmart and buy a pair of pants with a label that said Levi's, it doesn't matter what the salesperson said if they are fakes.
thats different, the example you give would be like if someone took a wrangler and put honda badges and sold it as a honda. And since when does a walmart salesperson take you around to look at diferent pairs of pants and explain to you about them.

To make the car a fake they would have to go through alot more then just a sticker. if they changed the tire put sliders on them and stickers... And actually removed the other stickers then fine they are frauding. but they left the original stickers on showing they are not "frauding"

They could have just put the stickers on there because people like stickers... Have you ever sold a used car that had stickers on it? or known someone that has stickers. what if your jeep has say a "burton snowboard" sticker on the back. are people to believe its a special burton jeep... no

will it help them sell the jeep quicker. im sure it will. are they saying its a rubicon, I dont know. maybe the OP can go and act interested and see what they tell him. Until then we all have no clue.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Ste
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 915RUBICON
Yes I agree you with, there really nothing anybody can do unless someone buys the jeep and is told by the dealership that it is in fact a rubicon. And then it's up to the purchaser to press charges for false advertisement and or fraud. So I guess everyones getting all worked up over nothing......
Wait what if I took off my rubi stickers and tried selling it as an X. Would anybody get worked up about that?
Finally, we all agree
Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I were you, I would go in and inquire about these "rubiCONS".. Play dumb and see what the dealer says about them.. Find out if they are really trying to pawn them off as the real-deal, or they tell you straight up that the previous owners out the decals on.. After you hear what they have to say, adjust the conversation accordingly.. Should be fun watching them squirm!!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
JK Freak

Well I understand it's fraud, and I understand that some people do not educate themselves when it comes to the facts and differences when buying something, and very true, they would be upset, the "BAD GUYS" can and do... do this and it's a sad. but that's why people need to be aware of what they are buying, Now you what to rely on the GOVERNMENT, to do something about it because you can't make an educated decision on a purchase. Well THIS sounds like the HOUSING MARKET NOW.

Go ahead an rely on the government to stop false advertising, sure like they don't do it themselves......

I baseball glove, is quite a bit different than an 18k dollar automobile...
Damn. You post twists me up. On one hand, I have found another of the 1 in 1,000 people who disagree with the absurd bailouts of blatant fools who bought homes they could not possibly afford in their vague hope of "profit", based on nothing other than a 30 second commercial and the realtor's assurance.

On the other, Rubicon, at least when placed on the hood of a Jeep Wrangler, is a copyrighted trademark. I would guess at the farthest absurdity, Chrysler could sue simple individuals who put the sticker on their vehicle (non Rubi), as it is trademark dilution. For a dealer to do so, it is blatant trademark dilution. They are diluting the attractive elements of a registered trademark to make the vehicle they are selling more valuable. Rubicon declares certain things about the vehicle, and it is a valuable labeling for Jeep. I would guess it is plainly illegal.

At the least it is very deceptive. And that would be a pretty bold line between this and the housing market. The problem the fools have with the housing market is their repayment of debt voluntarily assumed. And the mortgages were never deceptive. They were legally signed documents that clearly described the way the borrowed money was to be repaid, and what would happen if the money was not. There was never any real deception in the housing market, and that is probably why a full 50% of homes entered this nonsense with NO mortgage. The people being bailed out make up 20-30% of the total, and they only deceived THEMSELVES. Not even an individual puts a Rubicon sticker on their vehicle to deceive themselves. A dealer certainly does not.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
JK Freak

No one would care probably, even if it was deceptive. But it does not dilute the value of an "X". They aren't really the same things.

Quick Reply: Fakeicons......on display.