Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

FAIL Discount Tire SLC

Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAIL Discount Tire SLC

Shame on you Discount Tire Salt Lake! I got 4 new 35" Goodyear MT/R Kevlars installed on my Jeep in November at my local Discount Tire store. I couldn't afford to get the 5th at the time and figured I'd just wait a month or so since I knew I wouldn't be rotating them in that time and it would give me a chance to get the funds back up (sold my stock set).

Ordered the 5th tire on December 20 from the same store. They said it wasn't in stock locally but after some calling the sales rep told me he found one but it would have to be shipped up from a store in TN(?). They told me it would be in sometime between Xmas and New Years and they'd call me.

NO CALL over the last 2 weeks so I called them this morning and was informed by the manager that my tire was for another customer and that it actually never left the shop they said it was coming from. He says someone should've called me to let me know but I never received any call. FAIL.

Now I've spent the morning calling around other tire shops and everyone tells me it's on national backorder until LATE FEBRUARY! What the Fuck?! At least had they let me know right away that I wouldn't be getting the tire I would've had 2 extra weeks to try tracking one down. Now it looks like I'm going to have to wait two months without a spare tire! Discount Tire Salt Lake City I feel like you've screwed me over here. Don't think my next set of tires will be coming from you.

Also, I'd like to say that I've heard the 35" MT/Rs are hard to balance, but the store manager telling me twice that they will just never balance right seems like a cop-out. Death wobble is not "normal" and can be solved so stop telling me to just get used to it.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GearWhore
Shame on you Discount Tire Salt Lake! I got 4 new 35" Goodyear MT/R Kevlars installed on my Jeep in November at my local Discount Tire store. I couldn't afford to get the 5th at the time and figured I'd just wait a month or so since I knew I wouldn't be rotating them in that time and it would give me a chance to get the funds back up (sold my stock set).

Ordered the 5th tire on December 20 from the same store. They said it wasn't in stock locally but after some calling the sales rep told me he found one but it would have to be shipped up from a store in TN(?). They told me it would be in sometime between Xmas and New Years and they'd call me.

NO CALL over the last 2 weeks so I called them this morning and was informed by the manager that my tire was for another customer and that it actually never left the shop they said it was coming from. He says someone should've called me to let me know but I never received any call. FAIL.

Now I've spent the morning calling around other tire shops and everyone tells me it's on national backorder until LATE FEBRUARY! What the Fuck?! At least had they let me know right away that I wouldn't be getting the tire I would've had 2 extra weeks to try tracking one down. Now it looks like I'm going to have to wait two months without a spare tire! Discount Tire Salt Lake City I feel like you've screwed me over here. Don't think my next set of tires will be coming from you.

Also, I'd like to say that I've heard the 35" MT/Rs are hard to balance, but the store manager telling me twice that they will just never balance right seems like a cop-out. Death wobble is not "normal" and can be solved so stop telling me to just get used to it.
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Sounds like you got BS'd to by Discount Tire. I hate that - just tell me the truth.

I would hand deliver you a new Kevlar in exchange for a full-time job in Park City. My wife and I love it there - have vacationed the past few years in The Canyons. Our plan is to relocate to Park City or SLC within the next year....just need to find a job first. (that's easy in this economy, right? )
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

just go by Goodyear or Firestone and by a USED 35 around the same size as yours are.
this will get you by with a spare for the time being.

they usually sell their used tires for as little as 10 bucks.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is this really worth a public rant? -Just sayin
Old 12-31-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kneetard
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Sounds like you got BS'd to by Discount Tire. I hate that - just tell me the truth.

I would hand deliver you a new Kevlar in exchange for a full-time job in Park City. My wife and I love it there - have vacationed the past few years in The Canyons. Our plan is to relocate to Park City or SLC within the next year....just need to find a job first. (that's easy in this economy, right? )
Tell the truth indeed, and when you can't get what you promise, let me know so I can make other arrangements. Had they told me up-front that they couldn't do it, then I would've spent the time two weeks ago to look for a tire. Now I'm left high and dry by them and have called half a dozen tire shops looking for a tire everyone is either closed for the holidays or their warehouses are but it still doesn't look good until the end of February!

What do you do for work? The woman who works across the hall from my office is from Cleavland and an ex is from Bath. Not much work-wise around here these days in most jobs though...

@BadTrainDriver: I didn't get the 5th the first around as I was short on money and was trying to be responsible. Besides, I was using a stock wheel as a spare until I had the new tire on order. Then I sold all 5 stock wheels figuring I'd be back to 5 within a week.

@CreepJeep: Yeah, I was thinking earlier that will have to be my option, but then my 5-wheel rotation gets screwed up and I was really hoping not to have to drop the extra $ on a spare (cheapest "legal" one I've found is $50+) and mounting just to have to do it again in a month or two.

@jeepmojo: Thanks, and yes. Though never a good thing when I get them trying to offroad her Subaru. She wasn't very impressed when I tried to drive it up Baby Lions Back on our first trip to Moab a few years ago

@flienlow: Where else would I rant about my dissatisfaction with a company in the automotive business? I got dicked around with the first four so I guess I should've known better for the fifth. Just wanted it done there because their initial price was competitive and I could've gotten the other 4 re-balanced and rotated when I got the 5th installed. Rotation is easy enough but why do it in an unheated garage when I can get it done for free?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Why did you buy them?

Old 12-31-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

damn man.
50 bucks for a used spare!
those jackasses are milking that for all it's worth.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going tire shopping in the spring here in SLC, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do you do for work? The woman who works across the hall from my office is from Cleavland and an ex is from Bath. Not much work-wise around here these days in most jobs though...
No way!? Small world...

I own a small IT consulting company (20 employees, Microsoft technologies). I'd love to give that a go out in Utah.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My family lives in SLC, they always go to BIg-O tire on 2100 south for tires. They've been there a while.

Quick Reply: FAIL Discount Tire SLC