Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Factory Warranty void Mods

Old 07-21-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Factory Warranty void Mods

So today I went to the dealership to inquire about the RE 4.5" lift and what gears I can get. Being that I would have purchased these through the dealership you would think it wouldn't void the warranty. Well any mod done to the Drivetrain, to include but not limited to, Gears, Drive Shafts, Axles, Suspension lifts, and axle shafts will void the warranty. However if one could put 40" tires on it it wouldn't.. that and a body lift wouldn't void the warranty now this is comming from the dealer parts guy. He was very helpful and explained on why. If it came from the factory then it would be good. So If I were to special order one from the factory with the lift bigger tires built axles and everything I would have the lifetime warranty, but wouldn't even if the dealer installs any aftermarket modifications ie.. the Lift and gears and whatnot. Then mentioned that the Jeeps that were outside with the lifts and tires voided the warranty on them evedn though they were new and had less than 30 miles on them. Well after finding this all out I think I am gonna stick with the stock suspension, axles and drivetrain, I will change the tires though and be shopping for another Jeep an Older one to build up. So I guess if anyone has any questions on "Will this void the Warranty?" it will void it basically anything after market that alters the drivetrain will. He did say a body lift wouldn't though. yeah Great Idea lol...... So flat tube fenders for me and 33" tires is gonna work for me.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

If push comes to shove, the Factory Warranty WILL be voided with the installation of the above mentioned parts.

Sam
Old 07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSWIM
If push comes to shove, the Factory Warranty WILL be voided with the installation of the above mentioned parts.
Sam

The Supreme Court has already ruled against this, no manufacturer has to warrantee an after-market part BUT all the OEM parts have to be covered UNLESS the manufacturer can prove that the after market part caused the failure of the OEM part. My dealership accepts my lifted Jeep and loves to see it, they want to use it to sell other Jeeps, they also sell new JKs lifted on 35s, so are they selling a brand new Jeep with a voided warranty???

No they aren't

Last edited by def9112; 07-21-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

You were given a load of horse crap.

NOTHING "Voids the Warranty"

There is a law, it essentially says the stealership/manufacturer CAN NOT refuse to honor a warranty UNLESS the SPECIFIC modification can be PROVEN to have CAUSED the covered part(s) to have failed.

IE: NOTHING "Voids the Warranty"

.....they CAN say, well, those are not OUR gears, so, if they break, we never said in the warranty that some other maker's parts were covered...so if you REPLACE a factory part, say taking out the OEM gears, and putting in after market gears, or shocks, etc....and the after market parts break...then THOSE PARTS might be covered by Yukon, or Bilstein, Rancho, or whomever...but not Jeep, etc.

...They CAN say "Your 44" boggers are too large, and the stress on the drivetrain caused by the larger tires caused the diff to explode doing that wheel dig," etc...and not cover damages caused by YOUR mod(s)...as long as they can PROVE the mod CAUSED the failure. (44's would probably be a reasonable cause of failure for D44's, etc....37's might not, etc...)

They CAN say that if THEY install the mods, then THEY will warranty them...but not if someone ELSE installs them (ANOTHER party installing them might though, etc...)

Etc...

They CAN NOT say that your 2" BL caused the diff to explode, as it could not have, etc...

They CAN NOT say that your ENTIRE warranty is void, PERIOD...they MUST DEAL WITH EACH ITEM THE WARRANTY COVERS INDIVIDUALLY.

As for 33's...they fit stock....JK's fit much larger tires than the previous wranglers could.

BL's are a cheap way to fit 35's into the wells on full tire stuffage though...a 1-2" BL would do it, depending upon how hard you plan on possibly wheeling it off road.

A BL is cheap compared to flat fenders...by A LOT.

If you have the $ and like them, get what ever you want of course, hell, get both the BL and the flatties.

You DO also need less backspacing to fit a 12.5" section width tire, like a 35 x 12.5/15, 16 or 17, etc...about 1.25 - 1.5" less.

A stock rim has 6.25" of BS....so a set of 4.75" BS rims, or a 1.5" spacer set, would do it for you.

You could go wider than 12.5 of course, just take off another 1/2" of BS for every extra inch of section width....

If your state requires the fenders to cover the tire...then also watch for wider than ~ 13" of section width tires and their protrusion....fender flares/flatties, or whater...all can help that....so as the tire sticks out more with less BS, you extend the place the tire will hit on the way up outwards etc.

Enjoy!

Hope that helps.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

In the Factory Warranty of the Vehicle that was new. It stated on the sticker that the aftermarket products introduce on this vehicle has voided the lifetime warranty by changing stock drivetrain specifications. Due to this the Dealership will provide an extended warranty of 6 years at no cost to the consumer. The implied warranty on said aftermarket parts will be covered under the manufactured warranty of said parts. and more along those lines ON the window sticker. So if it his Horse crap I would like proof in the form of a website. However untill then my jeep will retain its stock form minus tires. cargo rack and bumpers. For the most part wheeling in URE poses no problem with the stock tires I just want a better looking tire. as I mentioned above I will be in the market for an older jeep to go hogwild on and make it my anything/anywhere trail rig.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

my dealership service manager told me that the warranty would only be voided on those parts. springs and shocks are not covered under the warranty unless its the 36k bumper to bumper. So as long as I dont change the driveline the lifetime would stay intact
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

I'm so :confused::confused:I want a lift but I do not want to void my warranty...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mutts08JK
... So If I were to special order one from the factory with the lift bigger tires built axles and everything I would have the lifetime warranty...
If you were able to do this, it would be a miracle.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZenGirl
I'm so :confused::confused:I want a lift but I do not want to void my warranty...
Lift doesn't void your warranty
Old 07-21-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default The law 15 U.S.C. 2302(C)

Here is a Federal site where you can see the applicable law. http://uscode.house.gov/lawrevisioncounsel.shtml
The law to reference is 15 U.S.C. 2302(C)
I did a search for "product" in title 15, section 2302. Goto section (c), this is the law that doesn't allow manufacturers to void your warranty for adding non-factory parts.

Quick Reply: Factory Warranty void Mods