Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Factory softop vs trektop NX

Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory softop vs trektop NX

I have a line on a brand new factory soft top for prolly 600 and already have a prepaid order for a trektop nx (538 Tx in).

My question is is one product superior to the other. I know bestop makes them both. So quality should be the same.

My only thoughts are I have had my trektop on order since early April and I have no clue when j will get it. I need to get this hard top off as the weather is good.

Which product is the better choice? Any input would be muchly appreciated.

Thx

Last edited by raidue; 05-19-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

It looks like the NX has all of the features of the factory top but you have the safari top option and the different look too. If I had gotten an NX last year I'd still be running it but I traded my old version Trektop for a factory top. I think the cargo area height on my unlimited is nicer with the factory top which I need (wife, 3 kids and a dog) but the Trektop looks way better in my book.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i love the trektop NX and hope to get one as soon as they are available but, when it comes to fit, quietness and ease of use, i think you'll find that the factory top will always be better. for me, you get something like the trektop because of what it is and what it offers and not for being better than the factory top.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

And if I am correct from what I've seen on the video and assume, the Trektop is some what more labor intensive if you want to take it completely down for full topless experience. But the Safari top option for the Trektop during the middle of the day, middle of summer, and blazing heat deal is so nice...

Yes I'm battling the same issue of which one to buy.

Last edited by db09JKU; 05-20-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I preordered the NX, but got tired of the delays and waiting and found a brand new factory soft top and love it. If you can get one for a good price go for it. Who knows when bestop will get around to releasing the NX since the release date has been pushed back multiple times.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the original Trek top for 2 years or so. I loved it when it was new, but I got tired of the flapping and noise after it had aged some.
I ran into a severe thunderstorm one day. The gusty winds ripped a couple of the velcro fasteners. The top was never the same after that, in spite of some repair work. I think it had stretched too much by then.
I got tired of the hard top, so I was shopping for another soft top, and I was considering the NX. I ran across a deal for a factory soft top and grabbed it.
Man! What a difference! It fits better, is quieter, doesn't leak and I think its easier to remove the windows, and fold the top down when you want open air. I'm not missing the Trek top at all.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm gonna gran the factory top and cancel my trektop nx order. I really want this hard top off and don't want to wait until July.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i love the trektop NX and hope to get one as soon as they are available but, when it comes to fit, quietness and ease of use, i think you'll find that the factory top will always be better. for me, you get something like the trektop because of what it is and what it offers and not for being better than the factory top.
Do you know when it will be out? I need a soft top soooo bad!

Quick Reply: Factory softop vs trektop NX