Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Extreme Cold Tire PSI?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't a tire lose a bead at 12 PSI??
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, sorry to hijack, but we're moving to Iqaluit - how did you get your jeep to Nunavut - can you drive? What's the road like..

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM
MJK
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deaconbest
Hey, sorry to hijack, but we're moving to Iqaluit - how did you get your jeep to Nunavut - can you drive? What's the road like..

Thanks.
You ship it up on the barge. Going to Iqaluit you will probably have to use the barge in Montreal. NSSI it is called "Nunavut Sealink and Supply".

Iqaluit has more roads than we do but you won't be able to drive out of town anywhere. Should be lots of nice off road adventures for you there!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MJK
Will there be a big difference running 12 or 20 PSI?

Why would the sidewall say to keep at a high PSI for COLD?

It can get to -60 here without wind chill on some days.
The pressure shown on the sidewall is usually the max PSI that tire can handle safely; that does not mean that you should run that PSI. Manufacturers set the PSIs for the individual vehicles that the tires are used on and manufacturer recommended tire psi specs are usually found on the VIN plate on the door. Usually, the recommended pressure would be quite a bit lower.

Since we commonly run over sized tires on our JKs, you can usually find the pressure that you're comfortable with for your specific needs - higher psi for better fuel economy or lower psi for comfort/traction.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:06 PM
MJK
JK Newbie

I just don't want to damage my tires in the cold. Is that even possible? I am running around 12PSI now becuase it is all dirt road here so it makes the ride WAAYY smoother. Can I run it at that all winter as well in -50?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
MJK
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MJK
I just don't want to damage my tires in the cold. Is that even possible? I am running around 12PSI now becuase it is all dirt road here so it makes the ride WAAYY smoother. Can I run it at that all winter as well in -50?
Bump! Please help me answer the questions I have.

I am running around 12PSI now becuase it is all dirt road here so it makes the ride WAAYY smoother. Can I run it at that all winter as well in -50?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MJK
Bump! Please help me answer the questions I have.

I am running around 12PSI now becuase it is all dirt road here so it makes the ride WAAYY smoother. Can I run it at that all winter as well in -50?
Yes you can but every morning you will have flat spots with the colder weather but it will not adversly affect the tire
Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi

I don't understand how does it being cold have an effect on you being able to lower your tires to 12 psi. Shouldn't tire psi be kept the same reguardless of the tempature?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MJK
I am running 35 X 12.5 Micky Thompson Baja Claws. I live in Nunavut where it gets to -50.

I am currently running at 12PSI becuase there are no paved roads and it makes the ride smoother.

On the tire wall it says 70PSI COLD or something like that but realistically, what should I run at in extreme cold?

Thanks.
-50!!! If it was me I would be worried about my shoes and feet curling in to balls, not about flat spots on my tires. My JK is an outdoor puppy, she would be on her own below -10.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I don't understand how does it being cold have an effect on you being able to lower your tires to 12 psi. Shouldn't tire psi be kept the same reguardless of the tempature?
Yes. Whatever psi you run at 70° F, you should adjust to that at any other temp.

Quick Reply: Extreme Cold Tire PSI?