Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Exterior Issues

Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior Issues

I introduced myself in the "Registry" Subsection, just reiterating that I'm not a JK owner yet, for I need to sell my Explorer first.

I have exterior issues, or worries I should say...

1 - The Black fender flares. I have noticed on TJs and YJs that the black fender flares fade out, frost over, whatever you'd like to call it, somewhat quickly... Is this going to be a issue on the new JKs ? Given the new flares are signifigantly larger than their predecessor, that would look absolutely hideous.

2 - Stickers/Decals - I plan on purchasing an "X" Model, but the large X on the side of the fender is quite unattractive... Some manufacturers clearcoat over top of "standard issue" decals... is this an issue on the new Jeeps, since that would be my first mod (remove the large X)

Thanks

-- O. Jeremy Miles, NREMT-P
Old 11-26-2006, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Use a good vinyl product on fenders and they will not fade.

2. What manufacturer clear coats over a decal??? That is the dumbist thing I have every heard.....
Old 11-26-2006, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

the stickers are not cleared over... you can remove them

and Harley Davidson does this on the MC's.. looks great actually.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

The stickers come right off if you know how to do it. I would like to know the best way to do it though. I do know the body shop guys at my dealer took the "x" off of a black one and it wasn't scratched or anything.

Bryan
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by duneslider
The stickers come right off if you know how to do it. I would like to know the best way to do it though. I do know the body shop guys at my dealer took the "x" off of a black one and it wasn't scratched or anything.

Bryan
I always warmed them with a hair dryer and they peel right off. I would double check that though as paint methods could be different these days.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

No worries on the stickers they do remove rather easy....just take your time and use a little heat as mentioned above. If your worried take it to a body shop and they will do it for you at a minimum charge.

As for the fenders X 2 for the Vynl protectent. Just use it every time you wash....light coat and they will stay dark. I just used Armour All and mine looked good as new 3 years later.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rubidon
No worries on the stickers they do remove rather easy....just take your time and use a little heat as mentioned above. If your worried take it to a body shop and they will do it for you at a minimum charge.

As for the fenders X 2 for the Vynl protectent. Just use it every time you wash....light coat and they will stay dark. I just used Armour All and mine looked good as new 3 years later.
Are there better products than Armour All, or are all those products pretty much the same?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

The best vinyl, plastic, rubber protector I have ever used is called 303 aerospace protectant. I will prevent fading (has a sunscreen) and cleans to like new with no greasy residue. (I don't work for them, it just really is a great product).
Old 11-27-2006, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

x2 it also works great on spa covers that bake in the arizona sun all year.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

303 protectant is what you need. I wouldn't trust Armor All, heard from friends it can cause plastic to crack over time. Not sure why, though.

Quick Reply: Exterior Issues