Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Extended Warranty Questions??

Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Questions??

OK - first impression is not a chance. I'd definitely agree and have seen most considered as bogus. Although I didn't sign up and have a couple of weeks to decide, I haven't read the details but what I heard is starting to actually make sense - or maybe sleep deprivation is setting in again.

The Max Care 7 year warranty seems to literally be less than $225 per year for years 4 - 7 covering everything with $0 deductible.

In most circumstances - I never take the extended warranty. However, with our DLP TV - it seemed worth it and within the first 2 years - the replacement cost of the bulbs has already paid for itself.

Once again, I am thinking that $225 for ALL hoses, water pumps, belts, and imaginable work for an entire year (given the way we expect to use it) seems rather inexpensive and would allow me to spend the extra $$ on toys to add to the vehicle rather than paying for the water pump, transmission, and steering that we just replaced on our other vehicle.

Any other experience or thoughts?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I opted not to take any extended warranty just due to the fact that I knew I would be modding and didn't want to have to deal with bickering over what's covered and what wouldn't be. There's plenty-o-room under the hood to do your own work and, to me, that's what owning a jeep is about. Everytime I opened the hood to my '04 Mustang, I would joke around that we MUST have been visited by aliens...everything looked so foreign. From what I've read, DC has one of the BEST extended warranties out there though so it's going to have to be your call.

ps I don't like buying extended warranties for anything and that is the only reason I haven't purchased a plasma/lcd/dlp tv yet....until they start making them where servicing isn't EXPECTED w/i the first 3 years I'll stick to my 65" projection HD, it's on it's 6th year now and the pic looks a great as ever.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waitingsemipatiently
...The Max Care 7 year warranty seems to literally be less than $225 per year for years 4 - 7 covering everything with $0 deductible...
What was your total price for the Max Care 7 year with $0 deductible? How many miles?

I went with the Max Care as well. Another feature you get is day one loaner car for free. Nice convenience.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

My dealership put me through hell waiting for my JK, and actually "lost" my Jeep for 2 weeks. To try and make up for that, they offered me a tiny discount on the 7-year service contract, but also threw in free lifetime oil changes.

I discussed mods with the person that sold me that contract, and they were honest with me. I was told that if you make mods that are putting extra stress on the vehicle, then any claims on the parts directly affected by the mod could be denied. I was given the example that if I decided to run 37" tires, I'd be putting extra strain not only the axles, but also on the engine...

I didn't like that answer, but I DO like the fact that the contract is cancellable at any time for a prorated refund. So, I figure I'll mod it as much as (I want / can afford), and if they deny a claim, I get most of my money back. For me, it was kind of a no-brainer - when you look at what most dealers charge for an oil change in my area ($25-$35), and figure on 4 oil changes a year, I end up really only paying ~$120 per year more than I would for oil changes alone...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does DC's warranty company offer wear & tear protection?
Do they let you go to a shop of tour choice?
Do they offer towing or reimbursement?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kaffeene
Does DC's warranty company offer wear & tear protection?
Do they let you go to a shop of tour choice?
Do they offer towing or reimbursement?
My Mopar service contract does include wear & tear items, and is honored at any DCX dealership in the US and Canada, but I have to go to my local dealer for the free oil changes.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

The extended warranty that was offered to me would cost approximately $2,500 and would only be good for an additional 2 years and about 40 thousand miles - over factory. That's a total rip-off! These warranty companies are experts in denying claims based on abuse, failure to maintain, mods, etc. Also, I figure that my $2,500 would be better off sitting in a mutual fund making around 10%. After 3 years, I will already have $750 accumulated for repairs, just in interest. I doubt that any real expensive repairs would be needed until after putting over 150,000 miles on the vehicle.

If the extended warranty was less than $1,000, I'd go for it. But, at these prices, they are just preying on people who don't know anything about motor vehicles. It's a Jeep, not a Porsche Cayanne.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Prichard
The extended warranty that was offered to me would cost approximately $2,500 and would only be good for an additional 2 years and about 40 thousand miles - over factory. That's a total rip-off! These warranty companies are experts in denying claims based on abuse, failure to maintain, mods, etc. Also, I figure that my $2,500 would be better off sitting in a mutual fund making around 10%. After 3 years, I will already have $750 accumulated for repairs, just in interest. I doubt that any real expensive repairs would be needed until after putting over 150,000 miles on the vehicle.

If the extended warranty was less than $1,000, I'd go for it. But, at these prices, they are just preying on people who don't know anything about motor vehicles. It's a Jeep, not a Porsche Cayanne.

Wow - I'm paying something like $1600 for 7 years / 70,000 miles of total coverage, and I thought that I might be getting ripped off, but WOW - that package they offered to you was definitely a total scam.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdrogers
What was your total price for the Max Care 7 year with $0 deductible? How many miles?

I went with the Max Care as well. Another feature you get is day one loaner car for free. Nice convenience.
Price was $892 and 50k miles for the Max Care 7.

I won't put as many miles as most as my office is in the basement (small commute) and we'll tow to various locations.

Our 1996 minivan (I think the same engine??) runs through an average of $300 per year in hoses, transmission items, belts, water pumps, etc per year so this seemed like a bargain!

I used to rebuild cars and love working on them when the time permits - unfortunately - time just hasn't permitted much lately.

I plan on doing very light mods - winch, small lift (maybe), larger tires, and exhaust but probably not much more and the dealership said that wouldn't be an issue - to which I responded with as long as it is in writing.

Going in Tuesday this week to purchase I think.....

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Questions??