Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

extended warranty

Old 12-13-2006, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my extended at the dealer.

He is aware of my mods as they put them on......
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its to my understanding (according to experts) that extended warranties, rust proofing, paint protectants, etc are all gimmicks to line the dealership's pockets. Financing and payiny interest on an extended warrenty is gambling that your car will need servicing when the extended warranty kicks in. You would do better by sitting aside the money for a rainy day. Also having these extras attached to your loan will only make your loan balance "upside down" when considering a trade in....especially with the rapidly decreasing value of an automobile.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AXJeep
Its to my understanding (according to experts) that extended warranties, rust proofing, paint protectants, etc are all gimmicks to line the dealership's pockets. Financing and payiny interest on an extended warrenty is gambling that your car will need servicing when the extended warranty kicks in. You would do better by sitting aside the money for a rainy day. Also having these extras attached to your loan will only make your loan balance "upside down" when considering a trade in....especially with the rapidly decreasing value of an automobile.
That's all very true, until you have an issue to use it on. We had one on my wife's Honda - saved us over $700.00 in electronics for the transmission. Had one on my 2001 TJ, saved me about $2,000.00 on a computer, trans, and numerous other gremlins...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeffj78
That's all very true, until you have an issue to use it on. We had one on my wife's Honda - saved us over $700.00 in electronics for the transmission. Had one on my 2001 TJ, saved me about $2,000.00 on a computer, trans, and numerous other gremlins...

How much did your warranty cost....icluding interest? In the end....how much did you really save? But if the warranty gives you peace of mind....then I say go 4 it.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
I bought the extened for 6 yrs 72,000 miles and it was less that $1500.

DC must have different prices for dealers.

No, that ia a total of 6 years not an extra 6 years......

Covers almost everything and towing and rental car and no deductible at the original dealership and $50 dedeuctible everywhere else.
me too, i think it was about $1200. I hope it was a total waste of money.

One of the guys i work with bought a Buick Rendevous with the extended warranty. It saved his a$$. that pos car/truck/vangoloid thing was constantly in the shop.

Watching his horrific experience and seeing what the repair bills WOULD have been, caused me to buy my extended warranty.

and again, i hope i pissed away the $1200.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 12-14-2006 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Warranty cost was $107.55/12mos. so that is $1290.60 total.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AXJeep
How much did your warranty cost....icluding interest? In the end....how much did you really save? But if the warranty gives you peace of mind....then I say go 4 it.
The warranty on the Honda cost $800.00 cash.
The one on the '01 TJ cost $1,600.00 cash.

Quick Reply: extended warranty