Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Excessive wait times and poor communication from Shrockworks. Caveat Emptor.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w squared
Well said. The same principles apply regardless of what industry you're in.

A) Promise what you can deliver, and deliver what you promise.

B) Tell your customer when you're going to deviate from point (A). Don't treat them like a mushroom.

C) When you scr@w the pooch, own up to it and find a way to make it right. This will build a loyal long-term customer base. Failure to do this when you find yourself in a position requiring point (B) will mean that your customer will become someone else's customer. And ten other potential customers will probably never even look at your product.

Point C is especially important. In a market like Jeeps where one customer will potentially be back to the same manufacturer time and time again if kept happy (front bumper, rear bumper, sliders, tire carrier) it makes dollars and cents to establish and maintain a loyal customer base.

I agree. Assuming I like the LoD front mid-width, I am already talking to the boss about an LoD rear bumper with tire carrier. I tend to be VERY brand loyal if the brand treats me well, and performs.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coach
As a relative newbie. Take this with a grain of salt. I have been around plenty of people, myself included, that are just looking for reasonable communication. I ordered a non-jeep item from a company. They did not have all the items of my order, but have e-mailed me continuously letting me know that they have literally "not forgotten me" and are working with the manufacturer to get the item. They also refunded the shipping of the item. I didn't ask for it, but certainly will order from them again based solely on their CS. I think most of us are asking for a little understanding from the manufacturers that we just want reasonable communication and we will remain loyal. Agree?
Completely agree.

I, too, bought something online, not Jeep related, that took quite a while to ship. I only live an hour away from the place, but I was shopping online and I didn't need the items right away. It took almost a month for them to get my stuff to me. I called them after about 2 weeks and asked about it, the CSR was very apologetic, especially when she saw where I live. She refunded my shipping charges, and the stuff arrived maybe a week later.

I would definitely do business (and have) with them again.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

C) When you scr@w the pooch, own up to it and find a way to make it right.
LMAO. F'in the D!

I knew, even before looking to see where you lived, that you were Canadian! I hadn't ever heard that phrase before working with a bunch of crazy Canucks (I mean that in a nice way) and I haven't heard it since I switched occupations.

I miss wearing my touque and ordering my coffee "double double"!

Sorry, I know it's off-topic... I LOVE Canada and have very fond memories of my summer there.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

Hate to break it to you but if they are shipping it UPS or FedEx you will get hit with more fees. Brokerage fees usually total close to 25% of the full price. Not Shrocks fault, just letting you know about how "free trade" really isnt free.

Hopefully you know about these fees.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be in the market for bumpers, etc. next month. I love the looks of the shrockworks stuff. However, shipping times of this order are completely unacceptable to me. That is horrible business. Small or Large makes little difference. I will be taking my money elsewhere. It's not like there stuff is so special I can't find what I want with their competition that ships on time.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Hate to break it to you but if they are shipping it UPS or FedEx you will get hit with more fees. Brokerage fees usually total close to 25% of the full price. Not Shrocks fault, just letting you know about how "free trade" really isnt free.

Hopefully you know about these fees.
No, not UPS. I do not do business with places south of the border that insist on shipping UPS instead of USPS because of those brokerage fees.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Call and cancel your order. Find another bumper.

I know that Shrockworks is a sponsor here...but all that's stated below is simply fact. I am not making any comment on the quality of their product.

I ordered a Shrockworks Mid-width right at the beginning of November. I was told 6-8 weeks, and that's okay. I understand that made-to-order production is not compatible with instant gratification.

While waiting, I went ahead and purchased a 9.5ti and a synthetic winch line. I obviously didn't buy a winch plate for the stock bumper because I've already got a great winch-compatible bumper coming from Shrockworks, right?

Then I followed up at the beginning of January, because that's 8 weeks from my order date, I was told "We've had some problems because we moved production facilities, and we'll have your bumper to you in early February." Okay...at least an extra four weeks of waiting. I can't say that I was crazy about it, but I can deal with that. It did irk me a little bit that I've already paid for the bumper and the shipping, but I'm a big boy and I understand that things don't always work out the way we want.

Well, we've got a week left in February, so I thought I'd call and touch base with Shrockworks. Apparently they're still having issues because of moving their production facility. I was told today that I MAY get my bumper during the month of March. While pleasant, the gent I spoke to on the phone didn't offer anything more than "sorry" to make up for the wait.

So let's review the facts:

#1. If they shipped my bumper today, the wait time would be TWICE the longest time they forecast when I bought it.

#2. I paid up front, in full. Bumper, shipping, additional shipping and duties to get it to my adress in Canada.

#3. I've had additional parts which add up to a larger investment than the bumper just gathering dust baecause I'm waiting on the bumper.

#4. The cause of the delay is moving supposedly production facilities. Something that I would imagine was planned...but obviously not planned adequately if it introduced an additional two month delay into their production schedule.

#5. Despite the fact that they've had my money for a period equal to twice their longest advertised delivery window (and have yet to begin production on my bumper) their customer service staff did not see any requirement to offer any material concession to indicate that they valued my business.

Am I being unreasonable by expecting that if you've already got my money, you're going to deliver a product within a reasonable amount of time or contact me with an alternative plan?

Am I being unreasonable by thinking that in the current economic climate, it is a sound proposal to hire some additional staff to deal with a backlog of orders that your customers have already paid your for? Given that your customers have already paid for the items in question, you should certainly have the funds.

Am I being unreasonable by not meekly accepting that every time I ask about my order, the delivery date is pushed back by a month?

Shrockworks doesn't have much longer before I ask for a full refund. It doesn't really matter how stout a bumper is if it's not on my Jeep.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

You could call Screaming Lizzard and see if they have what you want in stock and can ship it, or one of the other stocking vendors. I know that many people have done this since they can usually ship within a day or two.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

No, not UPS. I do not do business with places south of the border that insist on shipping UPS instead of USPS because of those brokerage fees.
Is Shrock sending you a bumper through USPS? I thought there was a 70lb limit on USPS stuff?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered my Mid last April and received it in July, a few weeks later than expected, but this was before the move. Now, the real issue: My wife will only allow a Shrockworks on the rear, as the bumpers "must match"!! I told her it was an 8 month wait for one, she did not believe it.

I'll be looking elsewhere, which is too bad as my Mid has taken some brutal hits and survived without a scratch (well, OK, without a dent).

A very frustrating experience. Can anyone actually physically go to Shrockworks and find out what is really going on? Some honesty on Shrock's part may buy them a lot of good will.

Quick Reply: Excessive wait times and poor communication from Shrockworks. Caveat Emptor.