Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Excessive wait times and poor communication from Shrockworks. Caveat Emptor.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Excessive wait times and poor communication from Shrockworks. Caveat Emptor.

I know that Shrockworks is a sponsor here...but all that's stated below is simply fact. I am not making any comment on the quality of their product.

I ordered a Shrockworks Mid-width right at the beginning of November. I was told 6-8 weeks, and that's okay. I understand that made-to-order production is not compatible with instant gratification.

While waiting, I went ahead and purchased a 9.5ti and a synthetic winch line. I obviously didn't buy a winch plate for the stock bumper because I've already got a great winch-compatible bumper coming from Shrockworks, right?

Then I followed up at the beginning of January, because that's 8 weeks from my order date, I was told "We've had some problems because we moved production facilities, and we'll have your bumper to you in early February." Okay...at least an extra four weeks of waiting. I can't say that I was crazy about it, but I can deal with that. It did irk me a little bit that I've already paid for the bumper and the shipping, but I'm a big boy and I understand that things don't always work out the way we want.

Well, we've got a week left in February, so I thought I'd call and touch base with Shrockworks. Apparently they're still having issues because of moving their production facility. I was told today that I MAY get my bumper during the month of March. While pleasant, the gent I spoke to on the phone didn't offer anything more than "sorry" to make up for the wait.

So let's review the facts:

#1. If they shipped my bumper today, the wait time would be TWICE the longest time they forecast when I bought it.

#2. I paid up front, in full. Bumper, shipping, additional shipping and duties to get it to my adress in Canada.

#3. I've had additional parts which add up to a larger investment than the bumper just gathering dust baecause I'm waiting on the bumper.

#4. The cause of the delay is moving supposedly production facilities. Something that I would imagine was planned...but obviously not planned adequately if it introduced an additional two month delay into their production schedule.

#5. Despite the fact that they've had my money for a period equal to twice their longest advertised delivery window (and have yet to begin production on my bumper) their customer service staff did not see any requirement to offer any material concession to indicate that they valued my business.

Am I being unreasonable by expecting that if you've already got my money, you're going to deliver a product within a reasonable amount of time or contact me with an alternative plan?

Am I being unreasonable by thinking that in the current economic climate, it is a sound proposal to hire some additional staff to deal with a backlog of orders that your customers have already paid your for? Given that your customers have already paid for the items in question, you should certainly have the funds.

Am I being unreasonable by not meekly accepting that every time I ask about my order, the delivery date is pushed back by a month?

Shrockworks doesn't have much longer before I ask for a full refund. It doesn't really matter how stout a bumper is if it's not on my Jeep.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain and I don't think it is unreasonable to want what you paid for when you were told you would get it. I also know how far a little bit of courtesy and good customer service can go in making you feel better about having to wait.

I called recently to inquire about a stubby and was told then that it would be 3 or 4 months. I needed a bumper sooner than later and really liking the Shrockworks, I called Screamin Lizard. They actually try to keep the stubby and mid width bumpers in stock. When I spoke to Eric (at Screamin Lizard) last week, he told me that he still had a few mid widths in stock. You might give him a call and see if you can get your money back from Shrockworks.

You can't beat the customer service of the guys at Screamin Lizard!!

FYI - If I had to do it again, I would still buy the Shrockworks bumper. I am very pleased with it!!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my shrockworks... ordered from them and had to wait, but id do it all over again!

like mentioned above, why not buy from a sponsor that carries shrock?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Youri
I bet they made a lot of interest on your money, without having to deliver a product.

They might also be holding off on sending you the stuff until next quarter, to inflate their numbers and not go bankrupt or something.
Um, let's not be so quick with the conspiracy theories here. A midwidth with all the add ons is about $1300. The interest is likely a buck or two a month. Not nothing, but not enough to stake a reputation on, dontchya think?

The OP certainly has a valid concern but I think you're overthinking it.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

I agree I would be upset too. I would ask for a refund and move on...
Bet it gets shipped quickly...
There comes a point when lack of customer service and extended, extended waits are to me simply not worth it.
If you have issues with production or service don't take someones money until you can deliver.
It wouldn't work with any business that I have been a part of, but I guess if you sell jeep accesories you can do what you want.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

There was a similar thread about two days ago and the guy got a refund becuase he was so upset....I myself have grown quite impatient and have waited since August for mine!

I too got nothing but a sorry from their customer service & now kind of wish I had gone with another bumper.....I love the Shrock but thios wait is just ridiculous.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

You ordered in August and still haven't gotten yours? Wow. Seven months. Did you pay up front?

That's beyond backlog, and into twilight zone territory.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

As a relative newbie. Take this with a grain of salt. I have been around plenty of people, myself included, that are just looking for reasonable communication. I ordered a non-jeep item from a company. They did not have all the items of my order, but have e-mailed me continuously letting me know that they have literally "not forgotten me" and are working with the manufacturer to get the item. They also refunded the shipping of the item. I didn't ask for it, but certainly will order from them again based solely on their CS. I think most of us are asking for a little understanding from the manufacturers that we just want reasonable communication and we will remain loyal. Agree?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Coach
As a relative newbie. Take this with a grain of salt. I have been around plenty of people, myself included, that are just looking for reasonable communication. I ordered a non-jeep item from a company. They did not have all the items of my order, but have e-mailed me continuously letting me know that they have literally "not forgotten me" and are working with the manufacturer to get the item. They also refunded the shipping of the item. I didn't ask for it, but certainly will order from them again based solely on their CS. I think most of us are asking for a little understanding from the manufacturers that we just want reasonable communication and we will remain loyal. Agree?
Well said. The same principles apply regardless of what industry you're in.

A) Promise what you can deliver, and deliver what you promise.

B) Tell your customer when you're going to deviate from point (A). Don't treat them like a mushroom.

C) When you scr@w the pooch, own up to it and find a way to make it right. This will build a loyal long-term customer base. Failure to do this when you find yourself in a position requiring point (B) will mean that your customer will become someone else's customer. And ten other potential customers will probably never even look at your product.

Point C is especially important. In a market like Jeeps where one customer will potentially be back to the same manufacturer time and time again if kept happy (front bumper, rear bumper, sliders, tire carrier) it makes dollars and cents to establish and maintain a loyal customer base.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by w squared
You ordered in August and still haven't gotten yours? Wow. Seven months. Did you pay up front?

That's beyond backlog, and into twilight zone territory.
No doubt. IMHO if you cannot deliver something you are selling within a reasonable time period (8 weeks or so for a bumper), quit taking peoples money until you can deliver them.

I believe it is against Visa regulations to take a credit card payment without shipping in a reasonable amount of time (I forget what the duration is though)

Quick Reply: Excessive wait times and poor communication from Shrockworks. Caveat Emptor.