Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ESP Question

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP Question

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I know if ESP is off/ on? When I push the button, it shows the wavey tires light constantly. When I push it again, the light only pops on sometimes. Which way is it supposed to be and how do I use it?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

anyone know the answer to this?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Or you can totally disable it with the steering wheel turn, push ESP button that the DC engineers came up with on one of their "funny" days. If I recall correctly, the light on the dash stays on then to tell you that ESP is off. Its all in the manual.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

like N2rock said when the light is off esp is active and the light will come on when the esp is working to keep your jeep from sliding. To shut it off push the button and the light will stay on and esp will not help control your jeep
Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BBirish
like N2rock said when the light is off esp is active and the light will come on when the esp is working to keep your jeep from sliding. To shut it off push the button and the light will stay on and esp will not help control your jeep
ok, but with the esp off, do the ABS brakes still kick in? i was trying to do some spins in the snow (private land, completely safe...) the other day and even with the esp button off, and just in rear wheel drive, the esp light kept coming on and the brakes were engaging on the side of teh car that was sliding. anyone know of a way to disable all "vehicle assistance" or is this a safety feature that can't be avoided?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Do a search on disabling ESP there is tons of info on it. There is a little steering wheel dance that can be done to deactivate it. I myself hate the thing, people in the snow most anyway thing it great. Too each their own I guess.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mailman1119
ok, but with the esp off, do the ABS brakes still kick in? i was trying to do some spins in the snow (private land, completely safe...) the other day and even with the esp button off, and just in rear wheel drive, the esp light kept coming on and the brakes were engaging on the side of teh car that was sliding. anyone know of a way to disable all "vehicle assistance" or is this a safety feature that can't be avoided?
thats wierd because in 2wd i just push the esp button and it shuts right off i was doing donuts in the snow the other night that way
Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BBirish
thats wierd because in 2wd i just push the esp button and it shuts right off i was doing donuts in the snow the other night that way
really? wtf then? i try to kick the back end around and pin the tires and the brakes kick in on one side and stops me right away. don't get me wrong, it's a great safety feature and one that really helps out, i just want to be able to tunr it off to have fun...
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

I put in a switch under the dash to turn it off. Works great I leave it on for normal driving and turn it off when I want to "play"

Quick Reply: ESP Question