Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

engine go boom???I think

Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its sad to see so many engines going out so early...... and then how chrysler seems to treat it like there is no issue...

toyota had a similar problem with 04-06 scion and Echo vehicles with bad cam gears.. (about $1000 repair).. they even acknowledged there was a bad batch of them and still wouldnt help the owners..

I saw and heard about a few of these 3.8 failing when I got my 09.. so ive always gotten the oil changed at the dealership.. I normally wouldnt do that.. so i guess chrysler is profiting from scaring me into doing no service anywhere but the dealer in fear of voiding the Lifetime warranty!!

-Christopher
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer gave me my quot for the repairs today and I almost broke down in tears 6,000 dollars for a short block. So today I am going down to pick up the jeep load it on a trailer and bring her home. looks like I will be pulling the engine and swapping it out for another 3.8....Like most right now just don't have the cash to do the hemi thing. Totally took the wing out of my sails...Of course they were more than willing to take it in on trade for another vehicle. That is if u don't mind being put in the position of being upside down by 10 grand. I just can't do that . talk about making a bad situation worse. Like putting a fire out with gas.
Sooooo, I will let ya'll know how things go...just feeling tattered and abused. I already have too many irons in the fire....haven't really been able to go play with the jeep. I think that's the biggest pisser. I stay on top of the oil changes and maintenance, haven't really stressed the motor out???? threw a rod doing 70-75 down the highway????? Even another service rep I know for Jeep had the whole WTF moment as well.
As for my warranty....I bought the old girl used so I only had a 36,000 mile and we all now how Jeep feels about us doing what we love to do with our jeeps..... I have 3.5 inches of lift and 315's not to crazy. This is like having a relationship with a woman... sometimes they are more work than u feel they are worth and it would be so easy to just say the heck with it and move on to the next. The worse thing is 3 months down the road I'd hate myself for walking away as I watched ya'll play from the comfort of my Honda that's worth 5,000 and I owe 15,000 on. Life just happens brother....
http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/me...mg_2692_2_.jpg
Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fish
2007's did not come with the lifetime. i know my 2007 did not
Actually, when I bought mine in September 2007, it did come with the lifetime.

Of course, I promptly voided it

Although forums tend to collect the bad news about vehicles, is there too many failures of the 3.8 at 30-50k being reported to be normal?

Get in contact with the hemi swap places, they are probably your best bet for low milage 3.8's. If you have, or can rent or borrow an engine hoist and some tools, it should not be a real tough job to swap it out yourself.

Last edited by Yankee; 07-13-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call some of the vendors on this forum and check with some local shops. I'd think you could do a swap for somewhere in the $3,000 range if you shop it aggressively and are willing to go lightly used. $6k is the stealership's Cadillac price. Screw that.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thissideup
The dealer gave me my quot for the repairs today and I almost broke down in tears 6,000 dollars for a short block. So today I am going down to pick up the jeep load it on a trailer and bring her home. looks like I will be pulling the engine and swapping it out for another 3.8....Like most right now just don't have the cash to do the hemi thing. Totally took the wing out of my sails...Of course they were more than willing to take it in on trade for another vehicle. That is if u don't mind being put in the position of being upside down by 10 grand. I just can't do that . talk about making a bad situation worse. Like putting a fire out with gas.
Sooooo, I will let ya'll know how things go...just feeling tattered and abused. I already have too many irons in the fire....haven't really been able to go play with the jeep. I think that's the biggest pisser. I stay on top of the oil changes and maintenance, haven't really stressed the motor out???? threw a rod doing 70-75 down the highway????? Even another service rep I know for Jeep had the whole WTF moment as well.
As for my warranty....I bought the old girl used so I only had a 36,000 mile and we all now how Jeep feels about us doing what we love to do with our jeeps..... I have 3.5 inches of lift and 315's not to crazy. This is like having a relationship with a woman... sometimes they are more work than u feel they are worth and it would be so easy to just say the heck with it and move on to the next. The worse thing is 3 months down the road I'd hate myself for walking away as I watched ya'll play from the comfort of my Honda that's worth 5,000 and I owe 15,000 on. Life just happens brother....
http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/me...mg_2692_2_.jpg
That really blows. I got 6 year 100k mile warranty on mine. My 2007 has 38k on it. I haven't noticed any kind of oil leak. I don't think you got much to loose putting it in yourself. How bad was your gas mileage with the 35's and 4.10 gears? I am probably getting 35's when these tires wear out.

Last edited by Jusaplaya; 07-13-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Hey man i am in the same situation but have the lifetime. I am fighting with a lawyer but i am going to be realistic and if its gonna cost more to fight and still be a decent chance that i get denied i am either swaping for a 5.7 or putting another 3.8 myself.

I know for a fact you can get a low low mileage engine for cheap. PM me and i will let you know. if you are willing to do it yourself or have a shop you can get it done for not that much.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Dealer wants to jerk me around so this morning while I was teaching class I had my dad show up with a tow truck..they had no idea it was coming. Now they are telling me that they are going to try and get jeep to help pay for the costs...yea, we'll see. Untill then if they want my cash then they are going to have to walk on water. Other than that I plan on pulling it myself. couldn't be any harder than the 360 that I pulled, rebuilt and reinstlled in my duster. Just more wires... Just don't think my motor should be giving up the ghost that soon???? Not to be a whiner but I'm not in the mood to pull an engine when its in the 100's..... too dam hot to do anything...I figure by this time next week I'll be doing it of Jeep will...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call up Camp at Cop4x4 in Phoenix 623-587-9323, I bet he has a 3.8 for sale.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks like I have a motor now. Just waiting for jeep to play there hand. I was actually thinking of giving Camp a call for any advice or possible problem areas when I swap out the motor. You never know if...."there is a wire that you cant see and if it's broke it shorts out the computer and costs another 800". God forbid..but right now that would be my luck.
Its nice to have all of u tossing in ideas, thank you so much. Feel like I am going through the 5 steps of death and dieing. Worse thing is I am driving a grandma car with a teddy bear key chain....hard to look cool but at least I have some wheels
Wish I had the funds to do the hemi swap....now that would make all this ish feel worth it. Just can't see spending 5 grand just on the kit...
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Jeep panned outthey are taking care of a big chunk. Still gona hurt a bit but I will have a new shortblock and warranty....Talk about a releif!!!!

Quick Reply: engine go boom???I think