Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Engine block heaters

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine block heaters

I'm going to Wyoming and with it being so cold I'm thinking an engine block heater would be nice does anyone else use one
Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

I've got one new in a box that I was going to install and never did... I'll sell it to you. PM if interested.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...28brand-new%29
Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

While a block heater on a timer can be a good idea, I never found them really necessary.
My JK and VW diesel both start just fine at -30°F. I do use one on the diesel, but it's not needed for satisfactory service.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Jedi

It's not a matter of them starting or not....of course it helps, but it's a WHOLE lot easier on the engine to start when it's a little warmer, and you get that oil moving around everything just that much faster. Not to mention a warm engine puts out far less emissions than a cold one. Freeze block heaters are nice but you'll probably have to have a shop install it for you. There are a couple other options. A small, low wattage heating pad that you silicone to the bottom of the oil pan to warm the oil is nice to have. And/or you can get a heating element for the lower radiator hose that will heat the coolant up until the thermostat opens and then circulate throughout the system. These are real easy for you to do yourself. I have a block heater, but the jk came with it new, or I would have installed the lower radiator hose element. I've used them before and they work great. Oh and btw....I never plug in until it's at least 0 or colder. And even then it's on a timer so it comes on only for a couple hours in the morning before I leave.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 06-22-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

i went ahead and got one from the jeep dealership thinking ited just be nice in case i really do need one up there and with all the stress on my battery from amps lights and a winch ited be easier for the battery and the car to be warm when it comes to start in the colder temps
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont mind me asking about how much did it run from the dealer?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
if you dont mind me asking about how much did it run from the dealer?
only 160 and thats with installation
Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is what you really want. These are a factory option on several brands in parts of Europe, especially Scandinavia. They don't come cheap though - I think around $1200, but if you live in a very cold place, they cannot be beat:

http://www.parkingheater.com/product...ng-heater.html
Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

I use my stock one all winter every winter. Gets down to -40 C for about a week every winter. Probably averages around -30 C for 2 months.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cbcwrangler
This is what you really want. These are a factory option on several brands in parts of Europe, especially Scandinavia. They don't come cheap though - I think around $1200, but if you live in a very cold place, they cannot be beat:

http://www.parkingheater.com/product...ng-heater.html
At around $1200, I'll have to say no thanks. You can tap into the same wire as the block heater, or run a separate wire into the cab. Then just buy a small 110 heater, set it on low, and put it on the floor of the passenger side. It'll be on a timer the same way the block heater is. Works great...!!!

Quick Reply: Engine block heaters