Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Empty oil filter

Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
... maybe the pump isn't working and oil wasn't flowing properly? I would think that would throw a code though? ...
Don't know how accurate this is, but I've read that oil pressure switch for dash idiot light is set to 4 PSI. That is very low. My Jeep runs 60-65 PSI usually, and 20-40 PSI when at idle and normal running temperature. It never drops below 20. An oil pressure gauge is a very comforting mod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131104_051241.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	509630
Old 11-04-2013, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP maybe your filter was just clogged. Seems like it would have a "bypass" valve of some sort if it could not flow.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
An oil pressure gauge is a very comforting mod.
I agree. The Aeroforce gauges I use sit on top of the dash and have bright red LED warning lights that will come on at any pressure/temp set. No way to miss the warning even in sunlight. I set the low oil pressure warning at 25 psi. May not save the motor, but better than the stock setup. The other gauge is set to display tranny and coolant temps with warning thresholds set. Expensive gauges, but engines are not cheap either.

Last edited by Yankee; 11-05-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Yeah got to keep an eye on those oil levels. I am a bit OCD and check mine with every gas fill-up.

I am going to guess and say you probably have a weak anti-drainback valve in the filter.

I have had really good luck with WIX filters over the years.
What most all eng oil filters have is a bypass valve. If the paper element gets plugged the valve opens, allowing unfiltered oil to flow.
Your eng oil probably did just drain back when u pulled the plug. As long as you have oil pressure, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. It is something I'm gonna keep an eye on from now on. I may also try a new brand of oil filter like maybe the wix or just go back to the mobil 1.

Quick Reply: Empty oil filter