Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Economy VS Upgrades

Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually put the brakes on (no pun) during downturns. Having been laid off before I'm determined to not experience that feeling again. It absolutely sucks when you can't find work yet the bills keep coming.

I'm trying to save up the cash for new wheels, tires and bumpers instead of putting it on a 0% card.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrt
Here's my take with some overlap to what others said:
  • Don't go in debt for your modifications
  • Break it down into manageable stages and save money for each one
  • Try to keep money on hand for great deals that may pop up
  • Make sure you have enough savings to cover your minimum expenses for 3-6 months (6 months being typically recommended) -- more if it may take longer than average due to your career choice
Very good advice. I have actually tried to slow mine down a little as well. (although things are still rolling in that I ordered 3 months ago! ) Fortunately, with winter coming I won't be as likely to drop money on the heep anyway. I just have to pray that things are looking better by March when the bug hits again...

I am fortunate enough that my wife and I have some savings set aside for a rainy day, but even that doesn't make anything easy. My wife was talking yesterday about using our savings to pay off things like my tractor, but I had to remind her that if things got bad enough that we were going to lose something, the tractor would be the first thing I would turn over. I have actually gone through the mental exercise of determining how thin we could get our budget if situations required it, and have actually implemented some of the changes to build the savings up a little quicker.

Just my .02, but mods should come well after the higher priorities on Maslow's list...

Quick Reply: Economy VS Upgrades