Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Duplicolor Bed Liner, in the cold

Old 12-24-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duplicolor Bed Liner, in the cold

Anyone ever try spraying Duplicolor Bed Liner in the cold? Made some brackets for my rock rails today and need to paint them. I was wondering if the bed liner goes on OK if it's cold out -- like 30F or 40F. It says some ideal temperatures on the can, but I think the low end is like 68F. It only occasionally gets that warm here in the summer.

If you used this stuff in the cold...did it stick?

Also, when used on metal is it better to prime it first (Duplicolor self-etching green primer) or just put it on the bare sanded metal?
Old 12-25-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried it in the 60's with high humidity. Didnt do well over a large area. It did stick, the color was a little off. Seemed to have some chalking. I think the can says dont paint under 50d.

I think you should be ok if you bring the brackets and can inside and get them warm. Go outside paint a coat, bring them back inside, repeat as needed. I did use the primer and I have not had any problems at all with adhesion.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the two parts I have used a work say a surface temp of 50 with a 24 hour dry time We painted with a surface temp of 40 and it took 7 days to dry and still did not cure right. just wait for it to warm up you will save yourself alot of work.

Quick Reply: Duplicolor Bed Liner, in the cold