Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dumped by insurance company

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richtor
Peter Lewis and George Soros want the same thing for America. Complete and utter socialized government run by a few rich people.

If that is what you want feel free to purchase progressive.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Allstate. My agent said my Jeep is covered except if I go on organized off-roading events like Jeep Jamboree. But if I get damage while "camping" it would be covered no problem.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

OP: That doesn't surprise me, coming from companies like Progressive or Geico. (No offense to those who currently have policies through these fine insurance companies.... :-/) I write insurance, and I've dealt with personal lines before. Insurance companies right now have a hair trigger when it comes to canceling or non-renewing for ANY reason.

There is something called "Custom Parts & Equipment" coverage that you can add to your personal auto policy. That covers all of those "extras" that you add to your vehicle, but you need to provide them with a dollar amount that would cover the cost of replacement, should you wreck your ride and need that extra expense covered to recoup your investment above actual cash value of your "base" model originally purchased. (Note to all of you fellow Jeepers: You should ALL have this on your policy.) What it boils down to is, they want premium dollars for added exposure.

I think it's a little far fetching that they would cancel your insurance based on that premise that your Jeep "has been customized for off-road driving and does not meet the guidelines under the family auto policy contract". I call BS, because it's still a street legal vehicle and you drive it on a daily basis. (I'm assuming) Coupled with the fact that it was damaged on a legal road and not on some trail off the beaten path, says to me that the underwriter has no clue what they're insuring, therefore opted to get off the risk due to ignorance on their part.

I have both of our Jeeps insured with State Farm, and they have no issues with our custom parts & equipment, nor what we do with our vehicles on the weekends. I've had two major accidents in a Honda CRV and a Honda Civic, and neither accident caused them to drop me (even though my loss ratio with them sucks the big one).

I hate that for you. Let me know if you need the name of a new agent. (By the way, having an actual agent to represent you is far better than the "online" or "over-the-phone" insurance company.... not that I'm knocking those companies, but at the end of the day, it's all about the relationship.) Best of luck to you!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

I've been with State Farm for over 20yrs and have been told by my agent there is no guarantee they will cover aftermarket parts.
In fact my dad had his state farm agent tell him all the accessories may not be covered because they are not genuine harley davidson so he went with progressive, after one of his riding buddy's hit deer with his H-D and progressive replaced every piece that had a mark in it whether was damaged in the crash or not. They even replaced parts that had no crash damage but had a blood on them. Saying the blood would stain the chrome.
Progressive generally seems to be a little higher than state farm but you get a better policy for the money spent.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't get dumped per-say, but my previous insurer, High Point of NJ, kept raising my rates despite a relatively clean driving record (Im on my families plan). I had an accident 5 years ago in a parking lot with no points, rates didn't go up for that, but when my brother got a 2 point ticket 4 years later, they raised the rates for everyone in my family and they dug up my accident and said that my rate would increase more due to that; mind you, 4 years later. Right before I got my jeep, I took my moms passat to school and some kid backed into it in the parking deck, royally fucking the rear passenger door. They were a nightmare to deal with for that and tried saying that I had to take the car to one of their body shops and that I would get an "equivalent" aka chinese replacement door. I knew my rights and took it to a shop of my choosing. Shortly after that, we dumped High Point, who we also had homeowners with, and switched to Allstate, who have given us awesome rates.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BabyGirl
OP: That doesn't surprise me, coming from companies like Progressive or Geico. (No offense to those who currently have policies through these fine insurance companies.... :-/) I write insurance, and I've dealt with personal lines before. Insurance companies right now have a hair trigger when it comes to canceling or non-renewing for ANY reason.

There is something called "Custom Parts & Equipment" coverage that you can add to your personal auto policy. That covers all of those "extras" that you add to your vehicle, but you need to provide them with a dollar amount that would cover the cost of replacement, should you wreck your ride and need that extra expense covered to recoup your investment above actual cash value of your "base" model originally purchased. (Note to all of you fellow Jeepers: You should ALL have this on your policy.) What it boils down to is, they want premium dollars for added exposure.

I think it's a little far fetching that they would cancel your insurance based on that premise that your Jeep "has been customized for off-road driving and does not meet the guidelines under the family auto policy contract". I call BS, because it's still a street legal vehicle and you drive it on a daily basis. (I'm assuming) Coupled with the fact that it was damaged on a legal road and not on some trail off the beaten path, says to me that the underwriter has no clue what they're insuring, therefore opted to get off the risk due to ignorance on their part.

I have both of our Jeeps insured with State Farm, and they have no issues with our custom parts & equipment, nor what we do with our vehicles on the weekends. I've had two major accidents in a Honda CRV and a Honda Civic, and neither accident caused them to drop me (even though my loss ratio with them sucks the big one).

I hate that for you. Let me know if you need the name of a new agent. (By the way, having an actual agent to represent you is far better than the "online" or "over-the-phone" insurance company.... not that I'm knocking those companies, but at the end of the day, it's all about the relationship.) Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the info. I contacted a local agent and found a pretty good deal. I will have to ask about coverage for the extras and see what they can do.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

I am sure happy I came upon this thread!!! I have GEICO also and I have already seen their lack of interest insuring my Jeep because of the mods. I am making a switch ASAP! Thanks to the OP for sharing the info.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I had GEICO too.

Sales person said off-roading (even though we never really go off-road as even when we’re in a wash it’s some kind of AZ road) and all upgrades are OK. Called again and asked for the Adjuster and he said that winches aren’t covered or any lift over 6”, but everything else was OK. Well the 2.5” lift is OK, but no on the winch, OK. Got a policy.

Later, I wanted to let them know I made some upgrades (new gears). They write me that the gears are good, tires are bad. I call and talk with someone and since my lift is under 6” they say the tires are good.

Later, I get a call from the Underwriter from the Tucson office (regional staff). She asks about my lift and if I ever drive off-road. I say sure, she say’s that policy will be cancelled. She said everyone else I talked to was wrong, and that GEICO does not cover any off-road accidents. Like I said, technically we’re always on some kind of road, but I don’t want to get into any argument with an insurance company if I damage my Jeep, and I don’t want to lie about where I was.

I ended up getting a policy with Progressive and got a $10K upgrades rider.

I get junk mail from GEICO every other week saying they want me back.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Switch your banking and insurance to USAA. They're open to non military now and there has never been a better company for finances!!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

USAA isnt open to the public, and is implementing a 5k limit on aftermarket parts.

Quick Reply: Dumped by insurance company