Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dumped by insurance company

Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HCSTHS43
They treated me well until now. Progressive is more expensive for me.
Must be by region? I have no idea how insurance rates work. My CBR motorcycle was like $500 a year with Geico with property and liability. It is $140 a year with Progressive.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
Must be by region? I have no idea how insurance rates work. My CBR motorcycle was like $500 a year with Geico with property and liability. It is $140 a year with Progressive.
Yeah, however it works it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Riptide
This is one of the reasons that despite a new front window costing $500, I'll never ever get insurance to cover it just for rock chips/cracks/etc. I don't mind making claims (and had zero issues when my 07 JK was stolen), however I don't want to go asking for trouble by filing minor complaints.
Well it was a little more than the windshield. I hit a tree branch stub that hung into the road, I never even saw the thing. It smashed the windshield and messed up the windshield frame pretty good.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1303363479_P_4.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	293486
It was $1500 in damage

Last edited by HCSTHS43; 03-21-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That stinks. What's the deal?!? Did you have the accident while off roading?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
That stinks. What's the deal?!? Did you have the accident while off roading?
Not exactly, I was diving on a dirt road that is actually a public road, and there was a branch that must have fallen and been lopped off, but it still stuck out into the road.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi

Not exactly, I was diving on a dirt road that is actually a public road, and there was a branch that must have fallen and been lopped off, but it still stuck out into the road.
Damn, that sucks!!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Independent insurance agent here. Our agency writes these no problem. I've got several modded Jeeps insured. It's true some carriers have a problem with customized vehicles, especially lifted, but your local independent agent should be able to help you out.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I got a letter in the mail today telling me that my policy will not be renewed because as they put it, my jeep " has been customized for off road driving and does not meet the guidelines under the family auto policy contract." Has anybody ever heard of this? I guess I should have just payed out of pocket for a new windshield, didn't think that this would happen. I have not contacted them yet and plan to tommorrow. I may be shopping for a new policy soon.
That really sucks!
Make sure you renew with someone way before your coverage ends and get an adjustment refunded to you if you have already paid ahead.
I had a home once where the hot water tank decided to explode while I was at work. It did over 14K in damages. I received a letter from Erie after they paid the claim that they were dropping me. To make a long story short I didn't go looking for new insurance until my last day of coverage and it was a total PITA to get a renewal through someone else without paying out the ass. I assume it is the same on a vehicle. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

I got a letter in the mail today telling me that my policy will not be renewed because as they put it, my jeep " has been customized for off road driving and does not meet the guidelines under the family auto policy contract." Has anybody ever heard of this? I guess I should have just payed out of pocket for a new windshield, didn't think that this would happen. I have not contacted them yet and plan to tommorrow. I may be shopping for a new policy soon.
Sounds like racism to me
Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
Meaning?
Peter Lewis and George Soros want the same thing for America. Complete and utter socialized government run by a few rich people.

If that is what you want feel free to purchase progressive.

Quick Reply: Dumped by insurance company