Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driving with the windshield down

Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driving with the windshield down

On the trail, how safe is it? Are windshield breaks common or can this be done without second thought?

I haven't taken my down yet, but was just thinking about it..never done that before.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
On the trail, how safe is it? Are windshield breaks common or can this be done without second thought?

I haven't taken my down yet, but was just thinking about it..never done that before.
Hmm, I don't know if I'd take mine down...because if you end up jerking too hard, it might bump up and down and break...I'd say no, unless there's some type of strap you can buy that will pull it down towards the hood. That'd work just fine...except, don't go behind ur amigo if he's stuck in mud. LOL

And if you do happen do go...show us a picture of ur muddy face.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

the tree branches would have got me by now if i had it down
Old 05-03-2007, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do they really incorporate this feature still? Is there any practical use for it?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
Hmm, I don't know if I'd take mine down...because if you end up jerking too hard, it might bump up and down and break...I'd say no, unless there's some type of strap you can buy that will pull it down towards the hood. That'd work just fine...except, don't go behind ur amigo if he's stuck in mud. LOL

And if you do happen do go...show us a picture of ur muddy face.
The strap feature is already built in... look at the middle of your hood and on the frame of the window above the rear view mirror! I have some industrial strength velcro cable straps attached to the mount above the mirror... but I don't think I will get around to letting my windshield down anytime soon.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Pat
JK Newbie

I do it on my CJ when I am in front of the pack or by myself and love it. Nothing better than having the wind in your face. Otherwise it is not worth it and make sure you tie the windshield down tight otherwise it will break.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

On CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's I put them down all the time. I haven't taken the time to put one down on the JK yet--the main difference is the curved glass. It's fun for the slow-going rockcrawling and gives you great visibility and communication with spotters. Especially in warm weather where a little more airflow feels good. Once you get above 10 mph, it's definitely time to put it back up! I never had one break, and I never bothered tying them down either, though I should say that it is strongly recommended.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 PM
JK Super Freak

On my CJ5 I used to put it down and secure it just for the bugs in teeth driving. Just watch your eyes.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

I think the curved windshield of the JK looks goofy as hell when folded down.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Windshield down

I believe I will never put the windshield down, but you never know.

Quick Reply: Driving with the windshield down