Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driving in Ice, and Snow WOW!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MT tires will work okay in the snow and much better if you air them down a bit. If you are going to be driving in the snow frequently, you are better off with an AT or better yet a dedicated snow tire. If a dedicated snow tire is not an option, an inexpensive compromise is having your tires siped.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
The JK is great in snow/ice on-road. My TJ was horrible in the snow if it wasn't in 4x4, I remember being embarassed trying to get out of a store parking once with like 2" of snow on the ground. Often I don't even need 4x4 with the JK. Those newfangled, wiz-bang electronic gizmos can be beneficial
Same here Pearl. I remember having to always use my 4wd in my TJ. In the JK I've been through mudholes only in 2wd. It is awesome in snow.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Anyone run ProComp Extreme At's in the snow. How do they go?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

i got my first snow with the JK.....the SR-A's have to go
Old 12-07-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Web's-Jeep
My first winter in a JK, and all I can say is WOW. I can't believe the traction even in 2wd in snow and ice, Also the anti lock works better the my last SUV, or my wife's Nissan Altima.
I thought the same thing yesterday. I was trying to slide around in the neighborhood and found it hard to do so.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had to drive about 20 miles to work on a sheet of ice yesterday on those crappy SRA's. Boy do they suck. Even at 20-25 I could feel the right rear of the jeep wanting to pull to the right and forward as I was driving. I finally put it in 4hi and noticed the entire vehicle wanted to pull to the right, but not sure what to think. It wasn't just the wind and I've never had 4wd pull me to a side while going straight, and this has really been my first chance to use 4wd since purchasing the JK. Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cucmd1
I had to drive about 20 miles to work on a sheet of ice yesterday on those crappy SRA's. Boy do they suck. Even at 20-25 I could feel the right rear of the jeep wanting to pull to the right and forward as I was driving. I finally put it in 4hi and noticed the entire vehicle wanted to pull to the right, but not sure what to think. It wasn't just the wind and I've never had 4wd pull me to a side while going straight, and this has really been my first chance to use 4wd since purchasing the JK. Thoughts?
It could possibly be a combination of the wind and most roads have a slight crown that will pull you to the side when they're icy. If it's not a very busy road you could try briefly driving in the middle of the road to see if it's the road or your jeep. Also you might want to check your tires' pressure.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm soo itching to use this thing in the snow here in MD.. come on Old Man Winter..!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using the stock Sahara tires. 3.73 gears and the anti-lock rear.

Seems much better in snow/ice than my old TJ was. The TJ has 3.21 gears and no anti-lock rear. You almost had to be in 4wd all winter when taking off from a icy stoplight or the ass-end would swing around and you'd be facing the guy behind you. Always a funny moment.

Only thing that sucks is you have to turn off the ESP before trying to do donuts.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Driving with BFG'S M/T...No problems whatsoever...Today we got
a liitle blast of 20CM of snow...I had no problem...Were supposed
to get 15CM more overnight...Come on morning...

Quick Reply: Driving in Ice, and Snow WOW!!!