Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

driveshafts to axles

Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveshafts to axles

Okay ... suspension lift and driveshaft modification will alter your drivetrain warranty right??

The guy at the service shop at the dealership said the engine and body was the only thing under warranty now?

Is the axle included in the drivetrain?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by putnam dan
he's wrong everything original is still under warranty. They have to prove any mod caused the damage in question.
Which is not hard. If you put a wrench on it loosened and tightened a bolt they will find some way to claim that was what caused the problem. I knew a dealer who claimed lack of oil changes caused the AC to quit working on someone's vehicle and refuse service. The only backing for lack of oil changes is the person did not have recipts where they had the oil changed somewhere because they did it themselves. Now this is not every dealer but some of them will try anything instead of admitting it is under warrenty..
Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
Okay ... suspension lift and driveshaft modification will alter your drivetrain warranty right??

The guy at the service shop at the dealership said the engine and body was the only thing under warranty now?

Is the axle included in the drivetrain?

Looks like you have an '08 model. I suspect dealers will look for any excuse possible to void the warranty on these newer JK's with the supposed "lifetime powertrain warranty". They'll eventually lose their asses if they don't.

That said, all dealers and service departments aren't created equal. Find a more "offroad friendly" one to deal with. Maybe somebody here can recommend a place.

There is a fine line though. Morally, I personally couldn't wheel my JK hard and expect the dealer to cover certain stuff. I see you have a long arm lift. Dealers may see this as an extreme mod, since you have altered the vehicle's suspension geometry and removed factory mounts, etc. Have you re-geared? If so, he may be pretty much right in saying that only the engine and body are covered.

Sometimes you just have to pay to play. It sucks though.

Last edited by 2K1TJ; 03-17-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

yah we do have a long arm ....

we have stock gears ... 3.73s

the thing with my u joint is simple to fix after talking to one of my friends, as long as the yoke isn't destroyed!

If it is .. they should cover it ... I was driving on the road when it happend, acutally about 3 hours close to it after the wheeling incident.

If they don't, time for upgraded axles and new gears! Eventually.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
yah we do have a long arm ....

we have stock gears ... 3.73s

the thing with my u joint is simple to fix after talking to one of my friends, as long as the yoke isn't destroyed!

If it is .. they should cover it ... I was driving on the road when it happend, acutally about 3 hours close to it after the wheeling incident.

If they don't, time for upgraded axles and new gears! Eventually.

Gotcha.
I just read your other thread and found out what your problem is. Maybe the axle yoke is ok and a new u-joint will get you fixed up.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

hoping ... will be fixed next week at my friends house. Til' then it sits and sits ....
Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

was the axle shaft ... it snapped apart ... its redneckd together to drive for now ... til' it gets fixed.

R & P gear are A - OK!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Looks like you have an '08 model. I suspect dealers will look for any excuse possible to void the warranty on these newer JK's with the supposed "lifetime powertrain warranty". They'll eventually lose their asses if they don't.
The dealers are reimbursed by the factory for warranty items. Dealers only lose the full street labor price, and make little to no profit on parts. It does keep their mechanics busy, helpful in slow times.

Some dealers feel they got burnt because they did not file adequate or timely reports or covered something that they shouldn't have or didn't justify adequately.

Then again there are the dealers who only want full street price on anything and customer be damned.

Quick Reply: driveshafts to axles