Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driveability Survey For Modified JK's

Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added the Clayon 3.5" Premium Lift. I have the JKS front / rear adjustable track bars. I also have the Bilstein 5100 series shocks on all four corners. With my BFG KM2s (35x12.5x17) on it I swear it rides better than it did all stock.

Of course I had the wheels mounted and balanced professionally, and the alaignment done by a pro as well.

I took it to the Jeep dealership for the free first oil change they gave me and they filled the tires to 38psi (to get the TPMS light to turn off) and that made it ride like SH*T! Drop the pressure down a few pounds and the better ride was restored.

Last edited by o|||||||o; 02-12-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift and 35" Goodyear MTRs on my 4 door, and I put it all together in the driveway. I followed the instructions for getting the steering wheel centered, and was not disappointed in the handling (I had never owned a lifted vehicle before, or one with larger tires, so I didn't know what to expect). However, when I couldn't get the dang ESP to stop kicking on, I took it to a professional shop to have them get the alignment as good as possible. COULD NOT have spent my money on anything better. After a real alignment, I am 100% happy with how it rides. It does not pull left or right, and the stiffness of the shocks is not in the least bit uncomfortable. I will, however, eventually upgrade to aftermarket control arms, as I was told with this wheel/tire combo they could only get it to within one half degree of being "in-spec" for caster. I don't think I'll ever notice the difference in ride quality if I'm only off one half of a degree, but maybe it'll save me some headache if a warranty issue ever comes up.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have OME 2" HD lift and 35" ProComp MT's. Handles suprisingly well for a lifted short wheelbase Jeep. I have to slow down to 35 for washboard on gravel. Feels solid and predicatble on trails.
I don't go over 70 mph very often but all in all it handles fine on the highway.
Better with the oversized steering stabilzer and 1/8" toe in.
Wandered a bit at 55+ with the stock stabilzer and stock alignment.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unhappy

I Checked my tires and the tire store had 40 psi!!! I adjusted down to 28 psi like other threads advised and it drives allot better!!! Tire pressure has allot to add to the situation. Try this first then start checking camber/Caster angles, most alighnment shops arn't very good at a modified jeep. (Even though its still basic common since!!)
Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my 2 1/2" Teraflex lift on, and dialed everything in to factory specs, and then drove it with the stock tires for three months. It drove essentially the same as stock, with perhaps just very slightly firmer shocks. It really drove nice. Then I put on flat fenders, changed gearing, and installed 37" tires. It works 10 times better off road than it did with the stock tires, but it is about 2 to 3 times worse on road. The wider tires grab every truck rut in the road. You need to pay attention on rutted freeways, but on new pavement that is not rutted yet, it drive really good.

Bottom line, ... its the wide tires, not the suspension.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

The only time mine wonders around and bounces alot is when im driving down the the sidewalks.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by El Jefe
The only time mine wonders around and bounces alot is when im driving down the the sidewalks.
Apparently not in Texas, you would have bullet holes all in your shit!! LOL Got to be California (the wild west)

Quick Reply: Driveability Survey For Modified JK's