Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

DRIVE THOUGH CAR WASH, Do you?

Old 09-28-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRIVE THOUGH CAR WASH, Do you?

All this talk about soft tops and hard top leaking I just wonder who takes theirs through a drive though car wash? I take mine once a week if not twice depending on weather. I am a neat freak and like it clean. I take it through the kind that has the sponge brushes to wash it too, not the "touchless" kind that just sprays it off. Anyone else out there take theirs through one?.......
Old 09-28-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bucket of soapy water and good ole elbow grease for me. The ony time I use any kind of car wash is the high pressure only on the tires and/or the underneath.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

i use to go through the touchless washes with my soft top.....but then the seam above the sound bar came loose and the top was replaced under warranty.....since then, no drive through car washes, and my top is still good....
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used to go through the touchless with my hardtop. But I got tired of staring at the water spots on my hood.

The do it yourself wash works good if you have a bunch of mud and stuff. If its just city dirt, then the driveway hand wash is very effective.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you wash out the sand, salt or dirt from under the jeep? If you have a winter how would you do this in the freezing cold?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've had mine thru the machine wash with the hardtop on, the one with spinning felt brushes that slap the vehicle half to death. NO problems, leaks or issues. The air dry about blew the paint off, rocking the Jeep, but contrary to the Urban Myth, the hood did not buckle up and collapse from being so thin.....
Old 09-28-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turtoni
How do you wash out the sand, salt or dirt from under the jeep? If you have a winter how would you do this in the freezing cold?

I use a rainbow or fan sprinkler set it under the jeep and move it 2 feet about every 10 min. In the winter you have to go to a car wash that keeps their pipes warm or just wait for a day that comes above freezing to wash it your self. Winters are very hard on cars. I lived in Grand Forks ND for 2 winters. I washed my car every chance the weather would permit. So many people had rusted out exhausts in no time because they didn't get the salt and sand off ASAP.

Last edited by DZNTS; 09-28-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Hardtop: Yeah, go through the touchless wash.

Softtop: Nah, just do it in the driveway. Re apply 303 to the soft top every couple of washes, fenders get it once or twice a year.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

never would always wash in driveway pretty easy and saves some money
Old 09-28-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wash mine at a regular car wash to wash the motor, underside, wheel wells, and that stuff like twice a month to keep it clean there. Otherwise I just go to Automagic and drive on through and after the blow dryer does its deal I shammy it off and in the cold weather I let them do it. It's only $5 for a car wash here or for $14 (say you have AAA and get $3 off so it is $11) they even shammy it off, windex the windows inside and out, shine the tires, vaccum it, and wipe down the interior. What a deal!

Quick Reply: DRIVE THOUGH CAR WASH, Do you?