Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dredging it up ... Underbody Rust Prevention

Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 AM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dredging it up ... Underbody Rust Prevention

how does everyone feel about the aftermarket rust prevention/protection that is offered? ....

have you done it?
do you want to?
is it worth it?
should i just do it myself?

like many others, i want to be keeping this jeepy for a long while .... should i huck out the $400 or so bucks to have this done?

if i do it myself .... what parts do i need to spray? .... photos would be great ...
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never got it done. He tired to sell me the line"it will make the ride quieter" I told him who the hell cares if its quiet! I didnt on my last car and the guy that bought it never looked under to see if I had it done. I thinks its not worth it.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I was looking at Jeeps my sales guy (who I have used 3 times now) told me that Jeeps are prone to show rust because you can see more of the under body/frame etc. He said when that happens just throw some rustoleom(spelling) at it and it will look like new. He even said when they get trade in Jeeps that haven't been cleaned up they do this or something similar and it makes a world of difference on the "look". That said your probably asking about real protectors like underbody coating and such...no real experience there I will probably go with the above mentioned once it starts.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

I did mine a week after I bought it from one of those aftermarket undercoating companies. I think they were running a special and I had it done for less then it would have cost me to buy the cans of undercoating. I live in Ohio and they put so much salt on the road its worth it.

On my prior 02 jeep i did NOT have it done and i got rust on the seams underneath. This was the real reason i did it on the new one.

It probably helps on the sound but I did not notice a diff.

FYI: the underneath of the jeep looks sweet now! I did it before my mods, so all the new arms, shock, etc. stand out.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm doing my own whenever I'm under the Jeep. I bought a case of Amsoil HDMP. It's pretty good stuff. Make sure you get a mask for paint vapors though. :-)

js.

Edit: It's also good for tools like the Hi-Lift, shovel, Pullpal, etc.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs down

Would NEVER get it done....undercoating has and was implicated in the 70's and 80's as an overpriced dealer option, that was not applied properly, and when applied, sealed all drain holes and covered nuts, bolts, shocks, springs, mufflers, exhaust pipes, etc. with a permanent rubberized coat that did nothing to prevent rust other then whatever was covered...try and work on a vehicle's under carriage after it has all been covered with flight deck like non-skid.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I'm doing my own whenever I'm under the Jeep. I bought a case of Amsoil HDMP. It's pretty good stuff. Make sure you get a mask for paint vapors though. :-)

js.

Edit: It's also good for tools like the Hi-Lift, shovel, Pullpal, etc.

I thought it was more of a grease, not paint?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dupont POR 15. I am gong to do mine a little at a time.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JRyan
I thought it was more of a grease, not paint?
Yeah, it's kind of a grease that dries to a semi-clear waxy finish, but it contains a lot of solvents that aren't too good for the health. You really need to wear a mask that's good for paint fumes and the like.

js.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by merfsiu
Dupont POR 15. I am gong to do mine a little at a time.
Do you already have rust?

Quick Reply: Dredging it up ... Underbody Rust Prevention