Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The dreaded Electronic Throttle Control )z( issue -

Old 09-22-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The dreaded Electronic Throttle Control )z( issue -

Well, my saga continues.

Since the day I bought my jeep I have had this light go on.

Several trips to dealer - and they don't give a crap.

Brought in today and printed out proof about others from this site that many jeeps have this problem. Service manager looked at my wheels and tires and said that it was probably the lift and tires causing the problem. WTF???? What an asshole.

I showed him all of the information and left the Jeep.

Picked it up and finally they did some research and have ordered a new throttle sensor. in almost 2 years it is the first time they have agreed to change out a part rather than reflash.

Part is on 'back order' which i take as good news also because it shows there is a problem with this part with many other Jeeps.

So I go back in a couple of weeks....

I will post the results....
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go to a different dealer. This one sounds like failuresauce with a side of lose.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi

sounds like the experience I have had with my local dealers.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BoredKender
I would go to a different dealer. This one sounds like failuresauce with a side of lose.
This dealer is 20 miles from me and the closest. It is also the only 5 star around. Alt is to drive 45 minutes. It sucks.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

UPDATE -

Dealer installed Throttle Sensor and within 60 seconds of driving it the )z( ETC light popped back on.

So the tech called the 'east coast' and was told that the wiring harness is the problem.

Every time I have taken in my Jeep I have told them about others on this site that say it is the wiring Harness, but yet they have always ignored my views.

And after almost 2 years they finally call someone who tells them what I have been telling them. Sheesh...

So now several more days of a rental CAR (which I have to pay for) and it will be done...

I just hope that light does not come back on.....
Old 09-29-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by directedby
UPDATE -

Dealer installed Throttle Sensor and within 60 seconds of driving it the )z( ETC light popped back on.

So the tech called the 'east coast' and was told that the wiring harness is the problem.

Every time I have taken in my Jeep I have told them about others on this site that say it is the wiring Harness, but yet they have always ignored my views.

And after almost 2 years they finally call someone who tells them what I have been telling them. Sheesh...

So now several more days of a rental CAR (which I have to pay for) and it will be done...

I just hope that light does not come back on.....
Pretty sure you should get a free rental if you have the lifetime warranty. up to 35 dollars a day. I have never taken the Jeep to the dealer and not gotten a free rental.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

i don't have the lifetime warranty -

picked up jeep today - if light comes back on, I'll be sure to let everybody know.

it has a new throttle wiring harness...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to consider the lemon law.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm beginning to hate going to my dealers as well, the good one down the street is closing up though!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same issue here... comes on, restart the ignition and it goes off for a while... i however have the flashing version, which caused an extremely rough idol and severe loss of power.

i think they are going to try and blame it on my tires and lift as well b/c douchebag said are those larger tires (as he was looking at them) and it took everything in me to not say, "nope... they soak up water and get bigger... here's your sign."

Quick Reply: The dreaded Electronic Throttle Control )z( issue -