Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Double check the work done - or pay the price

Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on there workmanship. I had planned on using them for a gear swap when the time comes, but I believe I'll try to find someone local to do the swap. Would'nt take to many 3hr trips to make up the price difference.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

As someone who works in a heavily customer service based industry we have a simple saying for stuff like this. Have a good experience, tell 3 people, have a bad experience, tell everyone. The quicker they make this right the less of a hit their business will take.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Didn't you used to have a SLC logo across the side of your hood?

The first "repair" work I'd be doing is ripping their name off your Jeep. This level of work is ridiculous! This is something you'd expect a "local" shop to do, not a renown customs shop

I hate that you had to go through this, but we're here to help you get things back to where the should be.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
...The first "repair" work I'd be doing is ripping their name off your Jeep...
Most of it is off one side of the hood, still working on the other side, and the other small decals are all off. And thanks for the offer of help . Appreciate all the help I've gotten from you guys here
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by PainKiller
... This could happen with any shop but it is the way they handle it that will make them or break them as a business.
Originally Posted by 07JKDakotaEd
... The quicker they make this right the less of a hit their business will take.
I don't want to sound like I'm defending SLC's work on Interceptor's Jeep--Interceptor's description is an accurate accounting of what happened as best I know. However, I just want to point out that I understand that SLC would be willing to take a look at his Jeep again to make it right. At this point Interceptor chooses to not do that--primarily because of the time off work/distance involved. If it had been a local shop for him, I think the story would be a bit different.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
...However, I just want to point out that I understand that SLC would be willing to take a look at his Jeep again to make it right. At this point Interceptor chooses to not do that--primarily because of the time off work/distance involved. If it had been a local shop for him, I think the story would be a bit different.
Good point Mark . I choose not to go back through another 3 hour drive with a vibrating driveshaft and have to deal with DW the whole way down there just so that things don't get any worse than they already are. This was your first experience with SLC and a major job at that. I'm glad that they took the extra time with Sean riding with you to make sure everything was good. I remember when we did that during my 2nd time there. But I'd think that especially when you know that someone's coming from out of town and has a long drive back home (with night driving much less), that they'd take the time to make sure everything was good before releasing it? This could've easily gotten a lot worse on the 3 hour drive back home. I just hope it's not a case where bigger jobs get more attention to detail than smaller jobs - and I'm not implying that it is. But some of the things missed here were things I would've expected if I'd done it with my limited knowledge of things and limited tools - not from a reputed company that does this type of work everyday.

As for things being different had I been local, possibly so - but then again, it might've taken me a lot longer to realize those driveshaft vibrations because in city traffic, even when we headed to dinner from SLC, I never did get it over 50 - 55mph and never really noticed it either. When they did a road test of the Jeep before releasing it, Sean himself mentioned that the technician was only able to get it up to around 40mph in the traffic and that it seemed fine - which would be correct. Sean did offer to make it right if I brought it back, but I'm just willing to take the chance to make that trip in the condition it is in and risk something else going wrong or breaking during the trip, and then again, what's the guarantee that they won't miss something else if I did? Shoot, in the last 3 times, there's always been something missed or overlooked and with each time it's just a bigger and bigger thing that's been neglected.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I notice you have some kind of raised trackbar bracket on your front axle. Do you have a drop pitman installed?
That bracket looks rough. Is it welded to the upper control arm on the front axle? You got any better pics of that.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
That bracket looks rough. Is it welded to the upper control arm on the front axle? You got any better pics of that.
The bracket that Teraflex was referring to was the JKS front trackbar brace - it's welded on the front and rear axle to reinforce the stock trackbar mounting location (axle side) and has nothing to do with the upper control arm. Here's what the brace looks like as a part:

and here's a close up of it on the JK:

Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
... Shoot, in the last 3 times, there's always been something missed or overlooked and with each time it's just a bigger and bigger thing that's been neglected.
If I were in your shoes I'd be gun shy to return, too. I just want to point out to the folks who say it's what the business does after the sale when a problem crops up, that in this case that business hasn't turned its back on you. I'm am in no way trying to make excuses on their behalf for their performance as reported by you.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If I were in your shoes I'd be gun shy to return, too. I just want to point out to the folks who say it's what the business does after the sale when a problem crops up, that in this case that business hasn't turned its back on you. I'm am in no way trying to make excuses on their behalf for their performance as reported by you.
Absolutely . And to clarify, yes, Sean did say that they'd make it right if I were to bring it back - so, no - they have not turned their back on me from that perspective. But my worry is this - even if I did go back to let them correct it, would I find something else wrong down the line?

Quick Reply: Double check the work done - or pay the price