Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Double check the work done - or pay the price

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Even if you buy the dealer lift, unless you do the install yourself or are present when the entire lift goes on, there's no way of telling if the right components are used, if things are being torqued down to specs, etc.
You said the Screaming Lizard used to be a Jeep dealership, right? If so, here is your evidence for that theory.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bstpierre
You said the Screaming Lizard used to be a Jeep dealership, right? If so, here is your evidence for that theory.
My point precisely. I just hope that my case is an aberration and they're not as careless with some of the major work they do. I doubt someone spending $20K+ on a Hemi swap would take too kindly to things going wrong from not being inspected prior to delivery.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I really feel for Interceptor--I was sitting in the waiting room with him last week. His problems are complicated by the distance to SLC. Sean would undoubtedly like another crack at making it right.

I should also add that when I picked up my Jeep the next day, Sean insisted on riding with me for a test drive taking me at highway speeds and over a bumpy stretch of road. My Jeep is running great, but my work was different ... lockers, tires, sleeves, EVO skids, axle shafts. And an alignment. My lift, which we installed ourselves a while back, is only 2.5 inches.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
...I should also add that when I picked up my Jeep the next day, Sean insisted on riding with me for a test drive taking me at highway speeds and over a bumpy stretch of road. My Jeep is running great, but my work was different...
Thanks Mark. Glad to hear yours is doing great! Joe's sending out a set of the right rear uppers, so just as soon as it gets here, I'll go ahead and swap them out and ship the current ones back to Teraflex. Sad part is that I'd have expected Sean to have offered this since I bought the arms from them and they installed it, but the only things that were offered was to either shim/use spacers on the transmission/transfer case to correct the pinion angle or to buy rear lowers . When I got the PM from Teraflex this afternoon, I was blown away that they'd stand behind their product even when the issue started with a reseller.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Wow an to think they advertise hard on custom jobs. Thats a shame, I would of lost my shit. Check that shop off the list.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Even if they hadn't sold you the parts, they d@mn well better know what they are looking at!! That pinion angle is ridiculous.. even in pics!! tell me that the tech even looked at it? come on now.. same with thet track bar being replaced and the entire works being stuffed to the passenger side so far.. complete incompetence by whoever did the work!! They are extremely lucky that an accident hadn't come from their shoddy work!! Let alone had the original track bar bolt broken due to being over-stressed and under-sized!! Can you say law suit? That's if anyone survived! I'm sure they have some good people working there otherwise they wouldn't be in the business they are in. But when work that should be child's play turns into a nightmare for the guy paying the bills maybe they need to take a look at who they have doing the work!! Forget one oil drain plug once and see where that gets you!!

I understand that they probably have different skill level guys doing different skill level work, but there is no reason one vehicle should have had some many things overlooked.. Apparently they need to hire a babysitter for quality control.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TROUPP
...I understand that they probably have different skill level guys doing different skill level work, but there is no reason one vehicle should have had some many things overlooked.. Apparently they need to hire a babysitter for quality control.
I'm hoping that SLC will notice the thread and reply with their explanation on what went wrong. Something this simple (compared to the level of work they do on a regular basis) should not have gone wrong this much.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice you have some kind of raised trackbar bracket on your front axle. Do you have a drop pitman installed?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I notice you have some kind of raised trackbar bracket on your front axle. Do you have a drop pitman installed?
Yes. I do have a drop pitman arm that originally came with my RC kit although I later replaced it with a Full Traction Drop pitman arm. I still have my stock pitman arm somewhere as well. Should I ditch the drop arm? The JKS trackbar brace you see on the axle side was added to reinforce the stock mounting location and gives me two points to install the trackbar at. My concern was that my drag link may not reach the stock pitman arm?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi

WoW
1. They should have noticed they were installing the wrong UCA's ( the ones that need to be used with the LCA's) I think there is even a label on the box
2. Ummmm just looking at the pinion angle would tell you something is wrong
3. That undersized Trackbar bolt is UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE . that could have caused a serious accident and more than likely worse ! ! !
4. Whoever installed that trackbar obviously didn't know what they were doing.

There is reasons why some of us take our rigs to "professional" shops to have "certain" things done and we are confident that they are doing the best job possible since they are getting paid for it and have a shop that specializes in 4 wheel drives. There is a lot to think and say about SLC's mechanics,owners,workmanship and craftsmanship for you to pay the bill and be sent down the road in a death wagon. They should have made it right with YOU the customer but instead the Tera rep. ended up bailing you out. sad really !! I am sure there are many satisfied customers that use them as well , but shady work won't get them recommendations and new customers. This could happen with any shop but it is the way they handle it that will make them or break them as a business.

Last edited by PainKiller; 02-23-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Double check the work done - or pay the price