Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Door lock Cylinder

Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock Cylinder

Howdy, Does anyone have a write-up on how to remove my door lock cylinder.

I'm looking to trade my doors. I've got power locks and the new doors don't, so we're wanting to swap cylinders before trading doors. That way our current keys will work with the new doors.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Did you ever find out how to switch the lock cylinders out and what you need to do to convert your non-power door lock doors to power door locks? I have the same situation, going from full doors with PW & PDL to half doors. Can't seem to find out anytning definitive. I asked the local Jeep dealer to check, but that was three days ago and I haven't heard anything yet.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Caretaker
Did you ever find out how to switch the lock cylinders out and what you need to do to convert your non-power door lock doors to power door locks? I have the same situation, going from full doors with PW & PDL to half doors. Can't seem to find out anytning definitive. I asked the local Jeep dealer to check, but that was three days ago and I haven't heard anything yet.
Sorry, no luck on swapping the door lock cylinders. I researched a ton, and it ended up being too difficult and not worth the time and potential money to take door lock cylinders out of the power doors. The Mopar half doors were easy to take apart.

I basically said F-it. I never lock my half doors. We each had a door key made to manually unlock the doors if needed when we traded doors. Occasionally I lock my door with my knee when I get out, so I just open back door and reach in.

There is a kit you can order to convert your Half Doors to Power Locks. If I'm not mistaken it runs $200, and install is kind of tedious. There's been a couple guys on here that have gone through the process. I remember one at least did it himself and another used a body shop/ dealer.

Here's a couple pics of my doors before and after i Plasti-Dipped them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1489650424.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	436203   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-226546339.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	436204   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1838900099.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	99.4 KB