Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Done With The Jeep

Old 12-20-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the manager of 4 wheel parts laughed when i told him what the dealership said. Also do you really think that the slave cylinder could fail because of a lift?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warlock13
the manager of 4 wheel parts laughed when i told him what the dealership said. Also do you really think that the slave cylinder could fail because of a lift?
Sounds like a typical Jeep dealer to me.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
I understand where your coming from Warlock13. This is why the big three are down to 50% share of sales down from 90% in the 70's. This is why the taxpayer is currently bailing them out. They make attractive vehicles and I would buy domestic over foreign in a heartbeat if they produced vehicles half as reliable as the competition. That Kia reference is a solid kick in the face but unfortunately its currently the truth. I love my jeep but if it continues to break down I WILL purchase a Toyota and NEVER purchase a vehicle from the B.3 again! The service at my dealer has been outstanding so I'm going to give the DC an opportunity for now.
If they don't change things as far a producing something comparable in reliability to the foreign competition they will go under. Then we'll all have no choice but to buy overseas.
Give your Jeep a chance for now. If it gets bad, cut your losses and purchase something reliable.
I never meant my comment to be a kick in the face, though I can understand how it was seen like that. The bottom line though remains, commuting 50+ miles per day fuel cost are an issue as is possible breakage from abuse of my JK. Though I have been lucky enough that I havent had a single problem with my 09 JK, I am still only getting 19 mpg with it were as my Kia gets 35+ mpg. Having two cars also comes in handy when working on the second vehicle (i.e. installing a lift kit by yourself, etc.) in that if I run out of time in the evening or am missing a part, etc. I can stop where I am at and still have reliable transportation. I know that not everyone out there can afford a second vehicle, I was 19 and broke once too, but my point that I was trying to get across was simply this. If you are going to have a toy, in this case a JK, that if you even plan on abusing slightly, then be prepared to have alternate means of transportation. I am not saying the JK is bad vehicle by any means, but things break, weather from abuse, accident, or manufacturer error and the more you abuse or alter from original setup the more chance of something breaking.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

The problems seem to be related to the motor and clutch, Jeep can't fix it, so rather than get rid of the JK, keep the bit you like, talk to some conversion people and drop a proven engine/gearbox combo into it that won't give you troubles. You probably get good money selling your existing motor & box anyway for spares.

Last edited by Brisnut; 12-21-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by tambil68
Just a quick note... I know the LAME ASS media and congress wants everyone to believe its the BIG 3... well FORD isn't asking for a hand out!

Now that being said... Go to the CJD we listen website and bitch about it.

To the OP... I have an 08 auto with no problems at all. If your dealership sucks dirt.... then go find a NEW dealership...even if you have to go to another town. I remember having a clutch replaced in my street car several times before I did it on my own with a backyard mechanic and learned it was simply missing the return spring after 3 different shops replaced it... NONE of them caught the missing part. THEY can really be MORONS ...and some can really be great..so don't waste your time with the idiots, find a great one.
X2 And anyone that thinks Jap Scrap is so much better hasn't counted the number of service bays all dealerships have. Foreign included. If they didn't need them they wouldn't have them.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the replies and I do believe the dealer is just trying to blame the modifications for the mishap because there is no way a lift can cause a slave cylinder for going out. Also i think i really just want to get this taken care of and then wait until spring and maybe get another vehicle to make my jeep my permanent toy vehicle.

Im always in to giving things i love second, and third chances......
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry for your issues.

Just to stir up the dealership ask them to have someone in the dealership that has a Mechanical Engineering degree to explain the physics that are at play with your Jeep that cause a slave cylinder to fail.

When they explain that none of the mechanics at the dealership hold advanced degrees in Engineering that they attended a factory sponored tech schools tell them to stop trying to screw you and get to work on your legitimate warranty claim. The dealership and the mechanics have a direct conflict of interest here. They can simply make more money by refusing a claim and charge you full book price for repairs.

It takes more than just subjective opinions by someone who really has no true knowledge of engineering to deny a claim. The guy may be good at replacing parts, so he should stick to his strenghts and leaving the thinking to the rest of us
Old 12-21-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks I will have to ask about that one. I went in yesterday to get something from the jeep and I do have to say all the mechanics in there did look like they ever stepped foot in a university. This will be the last time that I take my jeep to this dealership
Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Good for you. Find yourself a good dealership!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dizzyliz
Go wash your mouth out with soap and stand in the corner.

Quick Reply: Done With The Jeep