Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dog Barrier

Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog Barrier

Hi,

I've been looking for a little bit and considered a few options for a Dog Barrier for the back of my 4dr. I really like the idea of the Travall model but I'm not liking the idea of paying insane shipping fees for it. I wanted to see if anyone has used that one or perhaps another brand of barrier that works well in a 4dr. I'm hoping for something metal but also looked at the Cargo Net style barriers too since they are much cheaper. I'm just worried the soft barriers won't hold up as well to the Boxers I help rescue and transport. If anyone has a barrier, perhaps you can post comments about the model you have and maybe some pictures if possible.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Dirty Dog 4x4 pet divider. It works great with the hardtop, but not with the softtop. My dogs are about 40 lbs each and they can squeeze by the sides with the softtop, but not too easily with the hardtop.

It is also easy to install (once you figure out the upper corners) and to take down. It really never bothered me driving, in fact I barely noticed it.

I have been putting the top down a lot lately (75 to 80 degrees out here), so it is not on my jeep. However here are some pictures I had taken when I was figuring out the sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20101231_163650.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	238709Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20101231_163644.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	238710Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20101231_163530.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	238711
Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinutty
Hi,

I've been looking for a little bit and considered a few options for a Dog Barrier for the back of my 4dr. I really like the idea of the Travall model but I'm not liking the idea of paying insane shipping fees for it. I wanted to see if anyone has used that one or perhaps another brand of barrier that works well in a 4dr. I'm hoping for something metal but also looked at the Cargo Net style barriers too since they are much cheaper. I'm just worried the soft barriers won't hold up as well to the Boxers I help rescue and transport. If anyone has a barrier, perhaps you can post comments about the model you have and maybe some pictures if possible.

Thanks
X2 on needing something metal to contain a boxer. Lol coming from an owner...
Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Safari straps. Great barrier and can be flipped down and used as a cargo net. You can't see the inside one but it is really nice and heavy duty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2424921070.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	238727  
Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
I have the Dirty Dog 4x4 pet divider. It works great with the hardtop, but not with the softtop. My dogs are about 40 lbs each and they can squeeze by the sides with the softtop, but not too easily with the hardtop.

It is also easy to install (once you figure out the upper corners) and to take down. It really never bothered me driving, in fact I barely noticed it.

I have been putting the top down a lot lately (75 to 80 degrees out here), so it is not on my jeep. However here are some pictures I had taken when I was figuring out the sides.

Attachment 238709Attachment 238710Attachment 238711
Thanks for this one, haven't seen it before but it looks better than the Aspen Mfg ones I saw. Does it connect at the bottom as well? Meaning also, would it allow you to put the rear seats down and still keep the dog in the cargo area? I'm trying to figure this out before I make the trek with my boy this holiday season. He normally lays down in the back on his bed without issue but I've never driven more than an hour and a half with him back there and will be likely 7-10 hours at a time as I cross states so I want to make sure he doesn't decide to hop the seat while moving down the road.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinutty
Thanks for this one, haven't seen it before but it looks better than the Aspen Mfg ones I saw. Does it connect at the bottom as well? Meaning also, would it allow you to put the rear seats down and still keep the dog in the cargo area? I'm trying to figure this out before I make the trek with my boy this holiday season. He normally lays down in the back on his bed without issue but I've never driven more than an hour and a half with him back there and will be likely 7-10 hours at a time as I cross states so I want to make sure he doesn't decide to hop the seat while moving down the road.
Yeah it attaches to a brace for the rear seats. So you can fold the seats down and it still works to keep the dog in cargo area.

My computer is down right now but search for them on the web (they also are a sponsor here). There website has more pictures too. I think they even have a barrier for behind the front seats.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
Yeah it attaches to a brace for the rear seats. So you can fold the seats down and it still works to keep the dog in cargo area.

My computer is down right now but search for them on the web (they also are a sponsor here). There website has more pictures too. I think they even have a barrier for behind the front seats.
I can't get a clear picture of the bottom, if you have a chance I'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the soft barriers since there's still a good chance the dog will slobber down the back seat as he puts his mouth through the large openings.

Is there anyone with that Travall barrier? I've reviewed it several times and can't for the life of me figure out why they say it won't work with a hardtop...can't bear the thought of paying $350 to find out they are right haha
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadPunkin
Safari straps. Great barrier and can be flipped down and used as a cargo net. You can't see the inside one but it is really nice and heavy duty
What Safari Straps did you buy? Those look like what I could use the most. My dog will stay in the cargo space while the top is on, but I want him secured when the top is off.

Dave
Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I saw a Jeep yesterday and the guy put a white garden fence back there, so whatever you like works. : -)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDago

What Safari Straps did you buy? Those look like what I could use the most. My dog will stay in the cargo space while the top is on, but I want him secured when the top is off.

Dave
They sell a package that includes the two side windows and the rear. Then all you need is the cargo divider. When it's horizontal it hold stuff down in your trunk and can act as a shelf. When you flip it vertical it stops anything from getting from the trunk to the back seat.

Quick Reply: Dog Barrier