Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does this sound like a ridiculous idea?!!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you mount the bike to the back of the Jeep and attach the trailer behind that. I have seen Motorcycle mounts that attach to the hitch that have a receiver built in to connect the ball shank.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about motorcycles, so I'm not sure how much a 100cc bike weighs, but hear's my idea

get an aftermarket rear bumper with Spare carrier (something really heavy duty) and get something fabricated to carry it instead of the spare.
Also get a good roof rack where you can then place the spare.

Again, I could be way off here.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

The two thoughts I would have would be to add a motorcycle tray to the front of the trailer tongue, or to have a single bike hitch tray made that has a 2" box hitch coming out the back of it, so you could tow the two things in succession. Kind of like a hitch extension that just happens to have a motorcycle tray on it.

I don't know how possible and safe the second idea could be, but it's just a thought.

The mount on the front seems a bit sketch to me, with view obstruction and legal issues. I'm guessing it would be plenty safe weight wise, as most of those bumpers that have hitch mounts on them are sturdy enough to hold winches. My guess is they could handle several hundred pounds of motorcycle with out an issue.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

why not just put it inside of the trailer? there looks like there would be plenty of room for a small bike.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Why don't you mount the bike to the back of the Jeep and attach the trailer behind that. I have seen Motorcycle mounts that attach to the hitch that have a receiver built in to connect the ball shank.
This would be my recomandation also.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oneal
This would be my recomandation also.
This whole thing depends on how much the trailer weighs and how much the bike ways. Chances are, though, they'll way too much for the stock hitch. That's a lot of leverage on one hitch!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

+1 on putting the bike inside the trailer, unless its a leaky POS... then just look at your jeep and you camper and go buy yourself a better bike!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by davidwm71
I agree with this as well.. I have seen setups similar to this and I think that is the safest way.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Buy a dual hitch extension and carry your dirt bike in back of the jeep while towing the trailer (bike on top trailer on bottom). Should work as long as the tongue weight capacity is not exceeded and you have room between the trailer and the jeep. You can also put air bags in the back to prevent sagging.

You might need to watch the turns though... so as not to damage the jeep or trailer and bike at the same time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dual hitch extension.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	5880

Very nice trailer by the way...

Last edited by jeep329; 01-30-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tongue weight depends on how the trailer is loaded. If you put the bike on the back of the Jeep you have to count it as tongue weight and load the trailer accordingly to have the proper tongue weight. I'm sure there is going to be plenty of supplies that can be moved around in the trailer.

Of course you don't want the trailer to be too heavy behind the axle.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a ridiculous idea?!!