Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does this sound like a ridiculous idea?!!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like a ridiculous idea?!!

Here's my JK and camping trailer:
[IMG][/IMG]

It's a great setup, with one exception...I can't take my motorcycle with me when I go camping. The trailer does not have a rear bumper, so hauling my bike on the back is not an option without major modification to the trailer. So here's my where my crazy idea comes in. I thought about getting a front bumper with a built in receiver, adding a motorcycle hitch hauler, and carrying my motorcycle at the front of the Jeep!! Now keep in mind that we are talking a SMALL motorcycle (100cc). Does this sound feesable? Has anyone else here ever tried such a thing? ...or am I just nuts!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

I would build/buy a mount for the front or rear of the trailer. I have seen people put their Trail 110s on the front of their rigs, though.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

i dunno if you haul the family around with you, but if you dont ive seen ppl use a custom ramp, tie downs, and take the top off to put small toys in the back of the unlimited.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A competent welder/fab shop should be able to add something to the back of the trailer that will easily carry a small bike. I can't imagine it would cost a lot of money. Off the subject, how do you like the Tab? My wife and I are considering this as a replacement for our old pop-up.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that motorcycle were to fall off, there'd be a heck of a lot of damage to your jeep, and the trailer... seems risky to me...
Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

You have to wonder if you do this if some police officer somewhere will stop you for an obstructed front view.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum
A competent welder/fab shop should be able to add something to the back of the trailer that will easily carry a small bike. I can't imagine it would cost a lot of money. Off the subject, how do you like the Tab? My wife and I are considering this as a replacement for our old pop-up.
X2 on both ideas and set-up and question. Or even on the tounge of the camper.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I would go for the mount to the front of your Jeep. if you put it on the back of the trailer you may mess up the weight distribution of the trailer and cause it to sway.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing for sure is that you will be unique! Good luck!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a certain degree of tongue weight. Mounting the bike to the rear of the trailer will definitely reduce your tongue weight. How much? I don't know. But between the weight of the bike, the rack,and the leverage of how far it will stick out past the end of the trailer, I think it would be unsafe at best.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a ridiculous idea?!!