Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does the Oil Change Light mean the JK needs oil?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Oil Change Light mean the JK needs oil?

Hey there... a couple of odd questions about what's going on with my JKU:

1.) Oil Change prompt light that dings everytime you start the Jeep has come on this week, yet I got an oil change less than a month ago and less than 2,000 miles ago. I am wondering if that indicator also reflects that the oil is low? Obviously I am going to check the oil this afternoon, but for the good of the forum I thought I would inquire.

2.) Rought idle... WTF!!! 40,000 miles and it idles rougher than my 1997 TJ with 150,000 miles! I am going to change the spark plugs as I have already cleaned the throttle body and added oil additive to clean out the valves... I asked the dealer, and like they always say "Technician could not replicate the problem." so I am on my own to fix... it is truly annoying though! Any other ideas or experiences out there?

3.) Just put 1.5" wheel spacers, and I get a slight wobble occassionally... does adding wheelspacers affect alignment or affect the balancing of the wheel. It just seems weird to have the wobble and again it is truly annoying

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Jason
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

1) The oil light comes on for some reason other than needs oil or change almost like a timer. I will change oil and have the light come on in less than a week.
3) I got no wobble from my Spidertrax spacer on either of my jeeps. I took off the retainer clips from the axles.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NoVAJKU
Hey there... a couple of odd questions about what's going on with my JKU:

1.) Oil Change prompt light that dings everytime you start the Jeep has come on this week, yet I got an oil change less than a month ago and less than 2,000 miles ago. I am wondering if that indicator also reflects that the oil is low? Obviously I am going to check the oil this afternoon, but for the good of the forum I thought I would inquire.

2.) Rought idle... WTF!!! 40,000 miles and it idles rougher than my 1997 TJ with 150,000 miles! I am going to change the spark plugs as I have already cleaned the throttle body and added oil additive to clean out the valves... I asked the dealer, and like they always say "Technician could not replicate the problem." so I am on my own to fix... it is truly annoying though! Any other ideas or experiences out there?

3.) Just put 1.5" wheel spacers, and I get a slight wobble occassionally... does adding wheelspacers affect alignment or affect the balancing of the wheel. It just seems weird to have the wobble and again it is truly annoying

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Jason
the oil change light means you need to change the oil as soon as you are able to. Remember it comes on long before the change is needed so mark your millage down. If it's on right after it was changed it was not reset afterthe oil change. Turn your ignition to the on position without starting the jeep. then fully depress the gas pedal then back it off do this 3 times (slowly) the oil low light is a different warning light.

as far a the rough idle mine started at 5000km it comes and goes I think it's a computer control issue. it shouldn't stall. you could try putting in better spark plugs make sure they are gapped to vehicle specs.

your wheel spacers should be torqed progressively standard star pattern start with 30flbs then 60flbs then 90flbs be sure to use some red locktight on the threads holding the spacers on. if they are slightly off you will get a slight wobble.

hope some of this info helps

Last edited by Jeep Hound; 09-29-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Does the Oil Change Light mean the JK needs oil?