Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does it frustrate you that the Jeep JK has become so mainstream?

Old 07-05-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
It's kind of chicken-and-egg, right? Did the JK appeal to more buyers because of these improvements, or did FCA make these improvements because more potential buyers demanded it? Probably a little of both. Probably FCA sees everyone else tapering off of the old-school SUV template and they figure they have a platform that can be enhanced to appeal to that market segment, so they lengthen the chassis, add two more doors and a much more usable back seat, way more cargo space, AND improve the ride and interior trim and power and fuel economy, wound up making a vehicle that can appeal to a broader base of buyers and meet the demand where other automakers created a vacuum.
I think there's no question that FCA made these improvements to attract more buyers and increase sales. Those of us who four wheel would still buy Jeeps if they hadn't changed, but they wanted a larger appeal.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are an almost unlimited number of ways to customize JKs, so to me that's the fun in having so many folks with this same vehicle- almost every one I see is just a little bit (or more) different. Including mine. Mine is mine, it's what I want, and I've modded it like I want. It's fun comparing notes with folks at the gas station, at the park, whereever. I have folks come up to me all the time to talk about my JK, their JK, and JK's in general. I have never thought about or worried about whether the vehicle is mainstream or not, and I don't see myself doing it in the future, either.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

What has really annoyed me about the Wrangler becoming so main stream is the sky rocketing prices for new ones. I purchased my JKU new in 2009 and starting sticker price for a Rubi was $33K. Now I can't find a new Rubi on a lot starting less than $40K. It's the same body style. Sure they upgraded the interior and the engine, but not enough for those price increases. Jeep can only build slightly more than 200K Wranglers a year. So it's supply and demand driving the higher prices. There's too much demand due to the main stream appeal.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it wasn't so popular do you think we'd have all of the aftermarket support and variety of options? I think not.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
If it wasn't so popular do you think we'd have all of the aftermarket support and variety of options? I think not.
Actually it's the cosmetic stuff that is more available due to popularity... wheels, bumpers (to an extent), lifts, lights, floor mats, decals, seat covers, stereo equipment, etc.

I doubt that usable or actual functional off-road parts are more available since the demand for functional off-road capable Jeeps has probably not increased substantially. Most of the increased number of buyers are not driving them off-road. They're putting a lift and big wheels/tires on it, a bumper with a use-only-one winch, etc. just to drive it to the grocery store and commute to work.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
Actually it's the cosmetic stuff that is more available due to popularity... wheels, bumpers (to an extent), lifts, lights, floor mats, decals, seat covers, stereo equipment, etc.

I doubt that usable or actual functional off-road parts are more available since the demand for functional off-road capable Jeeps has probably not increased substantially. Most of the increased number of buyers are not driving them off-road. They're putting a lift and big wheels/tires on it, a bumper with a use-only-one winch, etc. just to drive it to the grocery store and commute to work.
Aftermarket fenders, bumpers, lift kits, suspension components, etc. are not cosmetic; we would not have the choices we have, if the JK were less popular. Compare JK choices for just about anything and then look at the same part for the TJ. Not even close.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Aftermarket fenders, bumpers, lift kits, suspension components, etc. are not cosmetic;
We will have to agree to disagree. I will say NOT ALL aftermarket fenders, bumpers, lift kits, etc. are cosmetic, but by and large MOST are purchased purely based on the cosmetic value. The variety of these parts exists to meet the variety of tastes in the cosmetic appearance of the parts, not because there is such a huge variety in actual functional need or utility. If only the choices available for TJ were what was available for the JK, nobody would be forced to have a less off-road capable Jeep due to lack of aftermarket choices. But they might not be able to have as many options for "angry eyes" grill adornment or shorty bumpers with slightly different shapes.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
What has really annoyed me about the Wrangler becoming so main stream is the sky rocketing prices for new ones. I purchased my JKU new in 2009 and starting sticker price for a Rubi was $33K. Now I can't find a new Rubi on a lot starting less than $40K. It's the same body style. Sure they upgraded the interior and the engine, but not enough for those price increases. Jeep can only build slightly more than 200K Wranglers a year. So it's supply and demand driving the higher prices. There's too much demand due to the main stream appeal.
It's not just the mainstream appeal, but the also the fact the Wrangler has zero competition now. I mentioned this in another post with regards to how the JL truck will have to actually compete in the truck segment and need to really prove itself, but in general the Wrangler currently stands alone. Hummer is gone, the FJ is gone, the Xterra finally died, and Land Rover doesn't really compete with Jeep in the US like it used to.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
only when I see a new JKU built to the hilt with coil overs and bypass shocks on 37's and the driver is so scared to get rock rash on his rock stars and holds everyone up on the trail. Too many people build the jeep up before they even how to drive it off road.
You had me pegged until the "so scared" part. I went out with only 300 miles on my Jeep and did exactly that, built to the hilt with coil overs and bypass shocks. I have very limited experience off-roading and yet have an amazing rig.

However, we should meet up sometime and do some local trails, being that you and I live in the same town. I have no worries whatsoever in scratching up my rig. In fact, I have worked hard to scratch and gouge my beadlocks as much as possibly prior to my Rubicon run next week. I would hate to show up with super clean rings..

As for the mainstreamness of the Jeep. I do not see it. And if there is anything to is, who cares? I have been wanting a Jeep for over 20 years and there was nothing anyone was doing to change my mind either way. For me, it is about getting out there and enjoying the outdoors, especially with my family.

Last edited by NevadaZielmeister; 07-06-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Nine 4x4s and counting.

I'm 83 and the JKU is my 9th 4x4 since I bought that new International Scout way back in 1964. Since then I've had '69 and '75 British Land Rovers, '83 Chev Baby Blazer, '89 Isuzu Trooper, '96 Cherokee, '08 Mitsu Outlander, '14 Cherokee Trailhawk and now a '15 JKU. We use the 4x4s for hunting, exploring and taking us to places we can't get to in a car, such as forest service trails and other off roads. And now we have the Wrangler JKU which is our only vehicle and has already taken us on 3 great trips to explore British Columbia's wilder places. It is, without a doubt, the best 4x4 I've ever owned, and we do wave at Wranglers and Trailhawks. - Ted. .

Quick Reply: Does it frustrate you that the Jeep JK has become so mainstream?