Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does it frustrate you that the Jeep JK has become so mainstream?

Old 07-01-2016, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it frustrate you that the Jeep JK has become so mainstream?

Just like in the title, does it frustrate you that the Jeep JK has become so mainstream. That possibly it is watering down the Jeep culture somewhat? Is this the wrong way to feel about it?
Old 07-01-2016, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I, personally, am fine with it. Bring them on. I like seeing them often as I drive to wherever. I have never felt the Jeep culture is all about the Jeep. It's always been to me about the people. Jeep enthusiasts still exist and I have no problem with the soccer moms. They help keep the brand alive and affordable.

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-01-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I guess I'm just too busy using it to think about such things.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-01-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah... doesn't bother me. As sport said, it's not the jeep itself that makes the culture for me.. that's probably why I wave at more than jeeps (which, much to my amusement, garners strangs looks). I'll wave at an XJ or an FJ or anything else that looks cool.. oh, and the soccer mom in the mall-rated jeep too.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate the "mainstream-ness" of the JK. Like mentioned above, it's what has kept this brand alive and well. Unfortunately, there are not enough enthusiasts to support a full scale production vehicle... Also, the high demand helps them retain their retail value, great for if we ever decide to sell and upgrade!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only part about it, as with anything, the more popular something becomes the more it attracts the douchers. Hate douchers in any capacity.

Last edited by Cutman; 07-01-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

only when I see a new JKU built to the hilt with coil overs and bypass shocks on 37's and the driver is so scared to get rock rash on his rock stars and holds everyone up on the trail. Too many people build the jeep up before they even how to drive it off road.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I, personally, am fine with it. Bring them on. I like seeing them often as I drive to wherever. I have never felt the Jeep culture is all about the Jeep. It's always been to me about the people. Jeep enthusiasts still exist and I have no problem with the soccer moms. They help keep the brand alive and affordable.
What he said.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

All very valid points. 200,000 Jeeps sold last year. I'd be curious to see how the Jamborees are fairing. Do you think there has been a significant upswing in the amount of participants? It would be interesting to see some numbers in Jeep events/club participation trends over the past 5-10 years.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would I care? I didn't buy any of my Jeeps because of the culture, or because of what anyone else does or doesn't do with/to theirs. I bought them for my enjoyment, to do what I want to do and take me where I want to go.

It's true that it has always been nice knowing if I was stuck on the trail or the side of the road and I saw a Wrangler coming in my direction that they would stop, just as I always have for others. I don't have that same feeling anymore, and that is something I will miss. Used to be if you saw another Wrangler you knew you shared some small bond with the owner/driver, not so much anymore.

Maybe I do get your point just a little.....

Quick Reply: Does it frustrate you that the Jeep JK has become so mainstream?