Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does adding a 2.5 lift make the Jeep dangerously Top Heavy???

Old 12-12-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step 1: Tell your dad to first do research before he takes other people's opinions (probably not even jeep owners at that)...

Step 2: Let him read the posts on here to obtain valuable and experienced opinions

Step 3: Buy the kit and install it when he goes out of town (takes about 6 hours if you are drinking and easily distracted like i was... otherwise it would take 3-4 hours)... plus, its better to ask forgiveness than permission... works for me at least!

Step 4: Drive him around and he wont notice a difference in ride quality or handling.

Step 5: Take a really sharp turn and flip the jeep... wait no... nevermind...

but in all seriousness... i, like toad, am running 33's with a 2.5" TF BB lift. I love it and at no point have i taken a turn and felt like i was simply going to roll over. Drive a jeep the way it is meant to be driven. As long as you are not drifting 90 degree corners and swerving violently through traffic, you will not have a problem.

Besides, the new jeep has a wider wheel base anyways!

Last edited by 07JKX; 12-12-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Wider and Longer... The new JK as MUCH different than the older ones.

No, you will not be too top heavy. I'm running 4" of lift (3" of suspension and 1" in the body) on 35's and don't feel that it is top heavy nor have had any remote feeling that it might try and climb up on two wheels.

Plus they have the ESP (and anti-roll mitigation computer stuff) crap (and anti-roll mitigation computer stuff) that tries to compensate.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

You can also remind him that the new Jeep has anti roll programing in the ESP. Also, if you are only looking to get to 33s you may be able to get there in other ways. Take a look around the forum to see what others have done. The first thing that comes to mind is the 1" MORE body lift. I know that many people are not fans of a body lift but your father might be.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

2.5" is not much lift...at 4", you can more easily feel it.

The important thing to remember is that a jeep is designed for ground clearance...it sits high to start with...and young/inexperienced drivers roll them during emergency maneuvers on a regular basis, because they do not understand the dynamics involved.

You drive a jeep more like a truck than a car...you steer in an emergency by taking a set on the steering, and waiting for the tire sidewalls, the rubber bushings, and so forth to catch up, and change your direction.

If you merely cut the wheel, don't feel feedback, and cut it more to dodge something, you will have oversteered, and ended up with a planned arc too wide, maybe into oncoming traffic, etc...and, most inexperienced drivers then do the same thing the OTHER way, and pop the jeep onto two tires, and maybe roll it, etc.

I've seen this too many times.

That said - Just drive like there's eggs on the roof, and you don't want them to fall off.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ...

I am probably getting a TF 2.5" myself pretty soon. You all are answering with, "As long as you don't <blank>..." I just want to know if it is at all noticeably different than the stock ride, when considering the JKs top heaviness. I have fun in my Jeep, rarely is there a rainy day that I don't get the back end loose around a turn or two for fun... or do a donut. Will this be any more dangerous with a 2.5" lift?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by KentuckyMud
I am probably getting a TF 2.5" myself pretty soon. You all are answering with, "As long as you don't <blank>..." I just want to know if it is at all noticeably different than the stock ride, when considering the JKs top heaviness. I have fun in my Jeep, rarely is there a rainy day that I don't get the back end loose around a turn or two for fun... or do a donut. Will this be any more dangerous with a 2.5" lift?
We havent noticed any difference from the stock ride. I used the stock rubicon shock with extensions.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wvcowboy
I just got a jeep Jk unlimited X and with it I was wanting to add a 2.5 teraflex budget booster or a full-traction to sit on top of some 33"s. I have the money to buy them but my dad says he won't let it because everyone he's talked to says that it would make the car dangerously to top heavy???
Dude I am assuming you are like a teenager and still living with mom and dad. I also know the lift will not make it unsafe to drive unless you drive like most normal teenagers do. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of you who keep it under the speed limit and drive safe and sane however there are a whole heck of a lot more that drive like they do in the Fast and Furious movies. Any lift will increase your chance of rolling. If you do like is the norm for most teenagers then you have an even greater chance of rolling it. This is the voice of experience I rolled my first car doing like 120+ around a curve so I know what teenagers do as well as how not to drive a vehicle.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed my TF 2.5"BB this past weekend and there is no driving difference except a haist stiffer woth the TF shocks. Going to a Jeep Jamboree is good advise!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you guys

Thanks to you guys you talked the big man into those 33" with the TF BB so now i can finally get off the ground without those damn stock tires!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell your dad not to worry. This jeep barely has enough power to go fast enough to flip over not to mention that before you try the ESP will disengage the gas pedal and apply brake. Finally, if you DO manage to flip it you've got roll bars for just such occasions. Party on!

Quick Reply: Does adding a 2.5 lift make the Jeep dangerously Top Heavy???