Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

do you rotate in your spare?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Absolutely 5 tire rotation for all the reasons mentioned.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. Brought it in today and rotated all five tires!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjohn
A friend here pointed this out to me, if I stick with the same size tire and brand I can not rotate in the spare and only buy 4 tires instead of 5 and use one of the new ones as a spare and rotate in the tire that was previously the spare with the new set.
This is the method I have always followed. Though the last set of tires I bought, outlasted my ownership of the Jeep...

I used my spare the other day with no issues. The tire size difference due to wear(still have to be the same size tire), when only used as a spare, is an old wives tale. Unless you are dealing with an AWD vehicle, and even then its debateable.

Two years in the tire biz, we would give trade in tires with 1/3 useable tread left, as spares.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakspire
This is the method I have always followed. Though the last set of tires I bought, outlasted my ownership of the Jeep...

I used my spare the other day with no issues. The tire size difference due to wear(still have to be the same size tire), when only used as a spare, is an old wives tale. Unless you are dealing with an AWD vehicle, and even then its debateable.

Two years in the tire biz, we would give trade in tires with 1/3 useable tread left, as spares.
Now I'm confused...so using the spare just for a spare is a no no? I mean Jeeps aside, you would do this with other vehicles? Not talking about donuts of course just full size spares. So you wear down 5 and replace all five, versus wearing down 4 and replacing 4? Isn't that more expensive considering spares are technically just for emergency? Why wear out 5 when you really just need 4? I mean lets say you rotate all 5, one blows, you'll have to replace 2 so you at least have 2 new treads versus replacing just 1 and using your spare as the other replacement? What am I missing here?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Rotate 5 tires every 5000 miles.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaRomeo15
Now I'm confused...so using the spare just for a spare is a no no? I mean Jeeps aside, you would do this with other vehicles? Not talking about donuts of course just full size spares. So you wear down 5 and replace all five, versus wearing down 4 and replacing 4? Isn't that more expensive considering spares are technically just for emergency? Why wear out 5 when you really just need 4? I mean lets say you rotate all 5, one blows, you'll have to replace 2 so you at least have 2 new treads versus replacing just 1 and using your spare as the other replacement? What am I missing here?

Alright.

Rotate the four tires. Leave the spare alone. Use it if you need it, no damage is possible as long as it is the same size tire as the rest of them.

The people that say a spare needs to be the same tread depth as the rest of the tires are assholes.

For example.

I have 5 35x12.50x17 Toyo Mts. Lets say they come new with 32/32" of tread.
I wear them down to 16/32" and get a flat tire.

Now I have a spare that has 32/32" and the rest of the tires are 16/32".

There is ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBLITY OF DAMAGE FROM THIS SETUP.

No matter what anyone tells you. Ever. In the history of the world, has anyone ever damaged an open, limited slip, lunchbox, selectable, or automatic differential.

If running for an extended period of time, you would be wise to get the same diameter of tire.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

I wondered this same thing. Then talked to a bunch of people about it. And I now rotate the spare in!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default OE tires and still going strong

I am on my original BFG MT that came with my '07 Rubicon. I have 72,000 miles on them and they still have a significant amount of tread. When I finally do get new tires, I will go up in size and need to buy 5 anyway.

This is about the most life I have ever gotten from a tire and with MT so I am very pleased.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

I rotate in all 5 tires. Tires actaully have a date code on them and a shelf life; used or not. You get 20% more life by rotating the spare in as well.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Alright.

Rotate the four tires. Leave the spare alone. Use it if you need it, no damage is possible as long as it is the same size tire as the rest of them.

The people that say a spare needs to be the same tread depth as the rest of the tires are assholes.

For example.

I have 5 35x12.50x17 Toyo Mts. Lets say they come new with 32/32" of tread.
I wear them down to 16/32" and get a flat tire.

Now I have a spare that has 32/32" and the rest of the tires are 16/32".

There is ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBLITY OF DAMAGE FROM THIS SETUP.

No matter what anyone tells you. Ever. In the history of the world, has anyone ever damaged an open, limited slip, lunchbox, selectable, or automatic differential.

If running for an extended period of time, you would be wise to get the same diameter of tire.
After all that, why the last statement?

I know opinions are like assholes, butt that doesn't mean people with opinions are assholes.

I'd like to know if anyone with an unworn spare, installed with three same size but significanly worn tires, has had an issue with the traction control kicking in.

Quick Reply: do you rotate in your spare?